Jan 10, 2001
I have heard of rotating the sprockets when they get some what worn, would this be a good thing to do, front and back, or just back? I have the whole rear taken apart down in the basement greasing up the bearings and was just wondering if I could flip the sprockets and even out the wear.

Thanks.

------------------
SandRooster220

1998 Kawasaki KDX 220
FMF Powered
Renthal Supplied

Russ

Jan 17, 2001
I don't think it would be a good idea in my opinion. It just sounds like it might put a lot of additional stress on the chain.

You can't do this on many of the bikes I've owned because:

Sometimes the rear sprocket is countersunk on one side for the bolt heads (like some XR's)

The counter shaft sprocket sometimes has a spacer as part of the sprocket on one side to achieve the proper chain alignment.

Even though neither of these appear to be the case on the KDX, I still wouldn't do it. I'm sure that my opinion won't be the only one though :).

Some people talk about doing strange things with their chains to save a few pennies just to risk hundreds of dollars in damage. I was on a dual-sport ride last year and saw a guy's chain de-rail on his XT350. The chain came around and took a big chunk out of the side case. Very expensive and labor intensive fix.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
I just swap mine back-to-front to even out the wear. Sometimes the bike feels faster when I do this, not really sure why.

Russ

Jan 17, 2001
TexKDX,
That's too much man! Did you have to elongate the counter shaft to make room? How did you solve the problem of the chain grinding against the swingarm?

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Oh, I guess that was on the LAWN TRACTOR where I did that trick...

Yea, it seems like a good idea, but unfortunately the sprockets I have seen are countersunk on one side in the back and have a built-in spacer in the front.

One possible suggestion is to get two fronts and one rear, steel not aluminum, with the new chain. Change out the front when when it shows the first signs of wear. Once one wears, the front first because of its 3:1 loading compared to the rear, then the chain stretches which accelerates the wear on the rear sprocket.

Jan 10, 2001
What is the best rear sprocket to run for heavy trail riding, steel? I have a Renthal aluminum on right now, put it on for the dunes, but now im just in the woods, and each ride I take it seems to wave more and more. I use to run Sunstars on the ol XRs and they did great.

Thanks.

------------------
SandRooster220

1998 Kawasaki KDX 220
FMF Powered
Renthal Supplied

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
You answered your own question ... Go with steel on the both sprockets for hard trail abuse.

TexKDX had some good advice (well the 2nd post anyway ;) ) .. Buy 2 front sprockets becuse they are cheaper and DO wear faster.

------------------
Mikeb
1998 KDX200  
http://www.justkdx.dirtrider.net

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I run a Sidewinder 50T SS I wore out one chain and one Countershaft Sprocket. I am going on my third season now. I ride about every week Rain or Shine lots of MUD. I will let you know if it ever wears out.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
sagesdirtandstreet wrote:

mid grade chain & sprockets = $115.00
new cases parts & labor = @$750.00-$800.00
time spent banging head on tree 45mi from truck out in the woods with a chain stuffed into cases = PRICELESS!!!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
May be painfully obvious..but..

You'll do a lot less wearing out of sprockets if your chain is adjusted correctly.

The KDX is 55-65mm measured at the end of the chain slipper. For the 'euro-impaired'..2 1/4" is a good thing. ;)

I just put on a renthal 12T CS cuz it fit on the shaft much better than the 12T sunstar I had. It was still in decent shape after a year of riding most weekends. My riding buddy on the other hand has gone through a couple of sprockets in the same time.

HHhhmm...maybe has something to do with him being in front of me all the time???

The KDX rear is a one way fit..countersunk holes.

Oh..and chains don't 'stretch'. But I understand the intent.

------------------
  • OLD member
    'oh-oh' KDX 200
    '86 Nighthawk 700 SC
    (a motorcyle even if it doesn't have a chain!)

B

Jun 29, 2000
Canyncarvr

Ill let the Euro Impaired comment slip. There's always one.

------------------
KDX200SR 89

Its not what you've got, its what you give.

dave-y

Oct 6, 1999
Phil (B)
looks like F&M boredom has really set in there or are you on drugs.

Sprockets
Replace them, I paid 50GBP for a full kit with a 520 oring IRIS chain. if it aint got a 520 kit on convert it. The kdx will not destroy the chain but bad maintainance will.

Top Bottom