Clint3240

Oct 21, 2007
i replaced the clutch in my 2000 rm125 and it ran great the first few times out, now when i start the bike up after its been sitting for a while its a really rough shift into first, the bike will jump and then stall. So to get around this i would rev up the engine then shift and once i got past this i could shift into first fine all day long. any ideas? i am going to change the oil in it before i go riding again.

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
only thing....

the only thing i can think of is let the bike warm up for a bit longer. never heard of this problem before good luck

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Is this a used bike? If so Perhaps the previous guy rode it hard causing wear on the basket.

If the clutch basket is worn it will cause the friction plates to hang up...

An other idea is that your cable tension isn't adjusted properly since your on here asking such an easy question...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Check your hubs AND basket for notches. Everywhere the aluminum clutch is drove by the plates. The outer will be the rectangular portion of the drive plates. The inner will be the stamped gear of the friction plates against the splines on the hub. Any notches or even slight divots will cause issues! Baskets can be filed, depends on you. Hubs must be replaced.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Clint3240 said:
what would the proper cable tension be

Lube your cable with dry slide, Wd-40 or Tri-Flow. Put some slack in your cable, about the width of a quarter, (.030) between the lever and the perch. That will allow for expansion when the clutch heats up.

jschiller

Mar 5, 2007
Sounds to me like it is oil with not enough viscosity when cold, seeing as it gets better as the day goes on, try a thinner oil or warm it up more.

May 1, 2007
jschiller said:
Sounds to me like it is oil with not enough viscosity when cold, seeing as it gets better as the day goes on, try a thinner oil or warm it up more.
That was my first thought also. Ive seen bikes, including mine, that have draggy clutches only when they first start. My clutch is worthless until the bike runs for a second or two. Makes it hard to bump start when its cold.

Clint3240

Oct 21, 2007
this might bring up some arguments but im using maxima tranny oil i beleive its 85 because its gear oil, or should i use engine oil that a 4 stroke would normally use. what do you guys use?

May 1, 2007
I think the majority of people with two strokes use ATF in their bikes. I am not familiar with that type so i couldn't tell you if it could be the cause of your problem. I think you could run about anything in the tranny without hurting anything but the clutch is where you see the problems. ATF seems better for my clutch than the Mobil 2t gearbox oil I was paying way too much for. If i was racing and had a $7000 bike then I might buy that crap but im going to stick with ATF for now.

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
thats what i thought as well,

thats what i thought as well, i know on my 150 it does similar things, i have to warm it up for near half an hour on some of these coler days for it to shift normal.

ysr89

Dec 4, 2007
Yeah, definately check your clutch basket. Filing works temporarily, but will only last long enough for you to buy a new basket and ride while it ships. As for oil, what are you using? I've found that ATF Type F works well. Avoid Mecron/Dexron compatible ATF, it will wreck the clutch. Make sure it's type F (or AF)

Top Bottom