Round #2 426? vs 450?

I think I saw Tim Ferry pass and out run Ryan Hughes on the uphill at round 2. Was I dreaming? I didn't record it, oooops. Anybody else catch this? I think it was in the second moto.

Take two riders, same size, both bikes from a stand still, take off up the hill... still probably wouldn't determine which bike is "faster".

There is a very good cahnce that Ferry isn't on a 426, but something larger. I know that Button rode bigger bikes as did Henry.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
unknown

There's no reason to believe that Hughes is on a 450 either, other than what Honda wants to tell us.

it would have just been easier to give the bike to tortelli and let huges stick to the 2-strokes.Seems like if they wanted it in the winners circle they wouldent have given it to huges.

hapanese

Stuff is good
Here Here,
I watched Tortelli beat up on the competition over here in Japan on the Honda thumper in its infancy. Although, ( no offense intended to the Japanese racers) The racers here pale in comparison to the Pros in the U.S. I too would like to see Tortelli race the thumper in the nationals. I think he would do it some justice. Then again the CRF 450 might just be the key to success for LaRocco and his starting problem.

yeah hapanese, that does sound like a good idea. Why not target who would buy most of the bikes and let LaRacco ride the bike. He is the "Vet." of the pro riders and It would probly let him get out in front like he cant seem to do with the 2-stroke. Another thing to think about is which one of the honda 250 guys is gona get sacked when RC begins with Big Red? Or will they just add another rider and keep lusk,tortelli,huges,laracco, and RC ?

hapanese

Stuff is good
Good question,
Although LaRocco rides for Amsoil on a Honda. Honda has big bucks, and just might keep them all! Doubt it though. If I had to guess, I would say Hughs or Lusk will get sacked. Lusk has had some bad luck over the last 2 seasons, and I would think that his ride is on the line. I'm not sure, and I dont remember the source, but I think LaRocco was offered the 450 along with Tortelli last year and they both turned it down. I can't confirm that, so take it for what its worth. But man it sure would nice to see LaRocco win on the 450.:scream:

Tony Williams

Lifetime Sponsor
Originally posted by IDkTm
There is a very good cahnce that Ferry isn't on a 426, but something larger. I know that Button rode bigger bikes as did Henry.
I believe the bike that Henry rode in '98 / '99 was actually about 440cc.

Factory Bikes

The factory bikes are just that, factory. Neither Ferry or Hughes' bikes are close to production bikes. The factories have tens of thousands of dollars invested in those machines. Reason why - well all the factories have a winning image to uphold. Win on Sunday - Sell on Monday.
So an accurate comparison of production bikes, needs to be done on production bikes. Unless your name is Ferry and Hughes, the closest you'll get to those factory bikes is by riding on a similarly shaped production model in your own garage.

Tony Williams

Lifetime Sponsor
Caveat to Bigger CC's

I just want to point out that the bigger engines are only possible with a bike that is initially below the AMA displacement limits.

Currently, in the 250 class, that is 250cc for a two stroke (and must be a "production" bike, no handbuilt one of a kinds) and a 550cc four stroke (and I believe the AMA will match FIM with a 450cc limit very soon, if not already?).

holeshot

Crazy Russian
450 limit

The new 450cc (four strokes in 250 class) limit for the AMA will kick in next season (Dowd is still riding a 520KTM this year).

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
Also, under the current rules, a new model can be raced for one year prior to production with no limits on 'works' parts. Next year, the bike must conform to the rules regarding production bits. IOTW, Ryno's Honda 4 stroke factory racer this year might be a true works bike and much more trick than next year's production bikes. Yamaha did the same thing with the YZ400.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Originally posted by Irish MXer
it would have just been easier to give the bike to tortelli and let huges stick to the 2-strokes.Seems like if they wanted it in the winners circle they wouldent have given it to huges.
I think Honda made the right decision to put Hughes on the bike. He's been pounding out the laps on the sucker since the first of the year, and he's famous for being able to do lap after lap with consistent times all day long. Ryno has the seat time on the 450F, and Honda has the best chance of winning a National Championship with Tortelli on the bike he's used to (CR250), rather than unproven technology.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Hmmmm...

How do we know Dowd is really riding a 520?

Maybe its a 450..........:cool: