Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
:yell: Just bought a 2003 yz250 that doesnt appear to have been ridden a hand full of times. Went to change the oil and the Bolt rounded off at the top. Used vice grips and it got worse. Took a handheld propane torch and lightly heated it, used vice grips and it still wouldnt budge. Would rather not put much heat to it but this bolt is stuck.
Any suggestions? :bang:

Apr 2, 2005
been there done that... if you can get a really tight squeeze with your vice grips...(may need a second person to help) you should be ok.

another way is to lay the bike down, in good light...VERY CAREFULLY...use a dremel with a cutoff wheel, and cut the flange of the bolt enough so the pieces with snap off. Once you relieve this pressure it should come out like nothing... be careful if you notch your case you could quickly turn things into scrap metal. if your lucky you'll have a washer around the bolt that will help prevent this.

when you get the new bolt, there is a soft gasket that goes in there. those plugs do not have to be that tight!

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
vice grips or a bolt would be the best. you may have to work it, but eventually it will come

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
Excellent suggestions, thank you very much. I went ahead and pulled the side cover to drain the oil, had to know what it looked like but i still have to get the plug out. I will give one of them a go and proceed to the next if it doesnt work lol. I did try a bolt out socket that didnt work either so one of these has to work. Thanks again!

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Craftsman Bolt-Outs have always worked well for me. When working on rusty boat and trailer parts, I just go straight for the bolt-outs and don't even both with the wrench.

Top Bottom