Rubber-mounted bars to tame 300's vibration?

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Has anyone ever tried the triple clamps with rubber-cushioned bar mounts on a KTM 300, or on any bike that tends to send a lot of vibration through the bars? I love my 300, but it tends to shake a bit. I have mounted a Boyeson flex grip--that helped a bit. I'm considering the Fastco bar ends as well. Any thoughts?

jw380

Jan 27, 2001
I haven't but if you have a steering damper,it could cause flex and damage to it.You could fill your bars with silicone or buy a bar snake insert to tame the vibes.Good luck.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Thanks, I hadn't thought about that. Don't have a damper yet, but am going to get one very soon. Is that correct? Will the rubber-mounted bars hamper the performance of the damper, or damage it?

selmgren

Sep 3, 2001
I ride a KX500 that has rubber bar mounts and also run a Scotts stabilizer. When I purchased the stabilizer from Scotts, I also bought new cones to replace the stock rubber ones. The Scotts cones are made from a different material, and don't have the flex of a rubber cone. I know if you use the stock rubber cones and they get old and loose it can cause damage to the stabilizer. The 500 also has some vibiration problems, here is what helped me. 1. Pro Taper Bars 2. Scotts bar ends 3. Scotts cones 4. Inject silicon into bars. It's not perfect but it made a big difference! Visit this website www.scottsperformance.com

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I'm definitely going to doo all the above. I have the Pro-Tapers; I'm getting bar inserts, and I'll fill the bars with silicone. I wonder whether the rubber-mounted bars are worth the $200? I know that my '94 300 came stock with the rubber mounts, and it's a lot smoother than my '99, but I think the engine is just smoother all around. What's the scoop of the rubber mounts--worth the money?

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
GPR makes bar ends that go inside the bars. If they don't work or you don't like them they will refund your money. They make a version that works with hand guards too. Worth a look.

trailblazer

~SPONSOR~
Nov 27, 2000
Check your engine mounting bolts and make certain that each is tight -- and properly torqued. Check your flywheel for runout while turning engine by hand to verify flywheeel out of round; or, possibly a failing main bearing. The other recommendations will help too.

demographic

Jan 21, 2002
after buying a road legal kx 500 i have had the same problems but after getting my eyeballs rubber mounted it seems a bit better:silly:might try the silicone in the bars thing though.cheers:)

Top Bottom