Rubber vs Aluminum Handlebar Mount Bushings

ek415

Jan 22, 2002
Has anyone replaced their rubber handlebar mount bushings with aluminum cones? If so, where did you get the aluminum cones? I haven't been able to find any for my 02' KDX. Not sure if the more solid mounting is the way to go, any input is appreciated. Thanks.
:cool:

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I've used firm rubber bushings on my KDX with no problems. They were originally intended for a KX so I'm sure if you found aluminum bushing for a KX they would fit your KDX as well. I liked the firm rubber bushings better than the stock units as the stockers allowed the bars to twist in the triple clamp to easily. I like the fact that the rubber mounted bars don't transmit much, if any, vibration to the handlebars and help absorb hard jarring impacts transmitting less of the impact to the rider.

David

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
I have never done it , and don't want to, due to reports of more vibration after the change. If bar twist is the problem, you might want to consider a one-piece bar clamp, I believe one from a KX fits. it's supposed to stiffen it up, but still allow vibration damping.

Good Luck,
Mike.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
More solid ones are the way to go. I've used the Scotts with great success. Still gives a little vibration damping and gives the front end a more solid feel overall.

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
I bought some from Applied Technology that are hard rubber. They have some give to them, but are solid enough to keep my bars from being crooked after a spill. The stock rubber ones were bad about that. Also the steering feels more responsive now.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
i've tried the stock rubber, scotts cones and solid aluminum cones and like the solid cones best. the handlebars on my stock 89 front end were solid mounted in upper triple clamp. thats what i was used to and liked so when i put the kx front end on i changed to the solid aluminum cones. i think they were made by fastway. dont' remember where i found them.

Swarm

Jun 14, 2004
kingsxjt could you send a link to Applied Technology. I checked the web and could not come up with it. I am interested in those hard rubber bushings

Thanks

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
I got mine from my local shop. I did a search on Applied Technology and didn't find anything except car stuff. My bad... :bang: it's actually Applied Racing. Do a search with Google for that and you'l find a plethora of places to buy them. :cool:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…