Safety gear in order of important

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
first and foremost..............the tv bigger the better
second.............................a nice comfy couch
third................................air conditioning
fourth..............................remote for tv can be electric or manual(kid)

use my list with confidence no injury guaranteed :)

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Will not ride w/o means if I get to the track and have forgotten it.. I go home to get it.
Can ride w/o but would rather not means if I get to the track and have forgotten it.. I ride anyway.

1. Helmet, will not ride w/o one
2. Knee braces, will not ride w/o them
3. Boots, will not ride w/o them
4. Chest protector, Can ride w/o but would rather not
5. Pants, Can ride w/o but would rather not
6. Jersey, Can ride w/o but would rather not
7. Goggles, Can ride w/o but would rather not
8. Gloves, Can ride w/o but would rather not
9. Luck, always good to have a little with you
10. Skill, I can never seem to have enough.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
You forgot underware, or didn't you.:think: The foundation of any great ride!:)

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
See my post (#1) # 12. compression shorts. Do you wear and if so do you wear underwear (what is your favorite) under the shorts?

No one has mentioned cups. Is this a bad idea?

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I may have missed it, but I must be the only one who wears a mouth guard. After biting through my lip during a hockey game once, I decided I'd wear one whenever there was a chance of that happening again.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
In no particular order I wear and use:

Boots
Shin and knee guards (which fall when it rains so the rock cuts and bruises your knee anyway)
Pants
Kidney belt
Undershirt (jersey rub sucks)
Jersey
Chest Protector
Gloves
Helmet
Goggles

I cant really tell if the kidney belt helps or not, but it helps me hold my pants up cuz they are too big. ;)

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
I didn't see a cup listed anywhere...
I'm thinking about adding it to my list. :eek:

I never ride without:
Helmet (I have 3)
Boots (Alpine Stars Tech 6)
Goggles (4 or 5 sets)
gloves (4 sets)
chest protector (Fox AirFrame)
pants (several) I never have the hip pads in my pants. Perhaps I should??
I have ridden without a jersey (chest protector over bare skin + crash = funny looking vent marks all over my chest, but no broken bones :) )
I also have some Fox shin guard/knee cups that I almost always wear.

I have, but do not wear, a kidnet belt and elbow pads. Thinking about using those too.

I always say I dress for the crash, not for the ride!

-jeffd

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I have tried the cup route. It's not fun. Ever see the guy on Laugh-In who rides the tricycle and falls over for no apparent reason? I'm certain only the older folks will remember that...but if you do, that is what it looks like when you aggesively sit into a corner and the cup isn't situated just right. (ouch)
Boxers are out, briefs are in! (Jock straps are good ideas)

DirtRyder02

Mod Ban
Jul 18, 2002
dude gloves should be like #3 on the list!! wene you fall thats the first thing you usally land on? and they get all scraped up if you dont wear them and fall!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Regarding the Kidney Belt ..... I now have one because of the injuries suffered from driving my truck across 100 miles of washboard gravel roads over a couple of days in Big Bend National Park. I would never have thought that the truck ride would have messed me up, but three weeks later I was still walking like somebody had broken me in two parts.
No bike wreck has ever left me that bad off, and I NEVER want to experience that pain again.
I still put helmets on top!

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
The cup is not a good idea. I've not tried to ride with one, but I would predict you could get "monkey crotch" :scream: , sort of like monkey butt, but far more uncomfotable. Just thinking of the edges of the cup chaffing away makes me want to cry. The kidney belt also provides some low back support in addition to the previously mentioned benefits. I like the ones that have hard rubber over your lower spine for some added protection in that area.

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by DirtRyder02
dude gloves should be like #3 on the list!! wene you fall thats the first thing you usally land on? and they get all scraped up if you dont wear them and fall!

I put gloves near the bottom of my list because they only provide scrape protection. I consider items that provide bruise, sprain and breakage protection more important. :think:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I was thinking of adding padded riding shorts because when I crash, I usually land on my tailbone or hip. The pads on the thighs also seem like a good idea although I've never injured myself there. The EVS padded shorts are the type I'm thinking of. Anyone use these or other brands?

kbud

Aug 28, 2002
Hows the elbow pads? I have thought about getting some but always thought they would be too restrictive. 4 weeks ago I took a chip outta my elbow which lodged itseld in my dislocated elbow, along with ripping some muscles and a tendon. I am definitaly gonna get a pair now, just dont know what kind. I also wear a beak on my goggles as bleeding noses are quite common without roost hitting me in the nose (happened twice in one race).

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Most important, all about equal:
Helmet (Bell)
Goggles (Oakley, 2 sets)
Chest Protector (Fox)
Knee Pads (Moose)
Boots (AXO)
Camelbak (I can't ride without hydration!)
Handguards/Bark Busters (never riding my bike in the woods without them)
Tool Belt (in case of mechanical problems)

Other important stuff:
Gloves
Pants
Jersey
good thick socks! no blisters for me!

None of these things I ever go without, although I could substitute for the things on the lower list.

I don't have any elbow pads, usually they'd bother me too much or even rub my skin raw. I want to find some that don't bother me.

I only wear a kidney belt when I ride whooped-out trails (stupid quads :| ). On the smooth stuff I really prefer not to wear one because I can move better and breathe easier. Maybe I make it too tight? :think:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
How about GPS?

It's always nice to know where the truck is at, especially if that is where the beer is at! Or the Yukon Jack!! ;)

I'm a low on funds rider so here's my list:
Helmet- Bell
Goggles-Scott w/Quick straps
Boots-Sarisa (So old they no longer make 'em)
Chest protector-Thor (canyncarvr's old one)
Gloves- Thor
Elbow pads- Roller Blade ( hey, they work)
Pants- Carhart Bib Overalls
Camel Back

Knee braces- I wish I could afford some
New boots- " " "
Riding pants- All the ones I like don't come in BiG MaN sizes lol

Ever since I started wearing more protective gear it seems like I am crashing less and less. Maybe I have more confidence that I'm not gonna get hurt really bad or something, I dunno, but it seems like I'm riding better.

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
I probably wear twice as much gear now on a bike as I did on a quad.

Well maintained '90 KDX200
Helmet - HJC
Goggles - Scott w/ Quick Straps
Chest Protector - HRP Attack Jak
Boots - Sidi's (they are awesome!)
Hydration System - Blackburn with Storage
Knee Pads - Thor, I think
Elbow Pads - CCM Hockey type
Gloves
Jersey - Moose
Pants - Moose
Bike shorts
Thick socks
Kidney Belt (on whooped trails)
Trail map (compliments of CCC) and/or buddy w/ GPS

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Having experienced severe kidney bruising once, I can highly recommend the kidney belt (this was back in the days on IT175s which didn't have wonderful rear suspension).

For riding trials all you need is;
Helmet
Boots
Lycra
Sunglasses
Attitude

Top Bottom