Safety wire pipe/muffler rubber gasket

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
Anyone else safety wire the two ends of the rubber gasket that fits the pipe and muffler together? I just did mine and I hope it stops all the spooge from leaking out on my swing arm and blowing up on the rear shock canister. Never had this much of a spooge problem till I put on the Pro Circuit pipe. I guess it just doesn't fit as tight as the stocker.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I have used hose clamps.
Why don't you just fixe the spooge problem? Did you rejet after the pro circuit pipe. "Sounds like your running rich.

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
I use hose clamps too, but I've got a hole in my silencer that leaks spooge on to my swingarm and rear brake. But it doesn't leak from the coupler any more.

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
First, Goldman, Zip ties do a great job on the rubber seal and they're easy and cheap. Second, TransAm, I had the same problem on my silencer. I took it apart by drilling out the rivets sealed it with high temp silicone and assembled it back together and no more dirty swingarm or rear brake. If you dont have access to a pop rivet gun you can just clean the leaking area real good with some kind of solvent and force the silicone down into leak and wipe away the excess, let dry overnight and problem should be solved.

Obie#8 ;)

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I used to use zip ties, but then I jetted my bike and I get almost zero spooge between the pipe stinger and silencer, or around the end cap of the silencer.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…