wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
OREGON Sand Dunes

Went to the DUNES! (With 'Carvr!)

Spent lots of MONEY! (Paddle, Flag, Cooler on wheels, BEER, Stove/Grill, EZ-Up Shelter....)

I was awake for 39 1/2 HOURS STRAIGHT! (had a root canal Friday morning, worked 3pm to 2am, packed truck 'til sun up, drove to Dunes, set camp, rode the Dunes all day and into the night, fixed Elk back-strap for dinner, and drank BEER 'til 2am!

Drank lots of BEER! (oh, I think I said that)

Had a BLAST! (Sand is tricky stuff at first)

Rode out on the BEACH! (Later Carvr mentioned riding out in the SURF was not the BEST of IDEAS! Also he FAILED to MENTION the 25 MPH SPEED LIMIT!!

Ruined my SWINGARM! (I was more worried about the paddles dragging on the swingarm, not the chain! ugh!! Ya do STOOPID things when you don't get 'nuf sleep!

Another thing I GOOBERED: Waited 'til I got there to change my main, so I did it at camp in a hurry and snapped the lil bugger in too, Luckily I was able to back it out with a philips screwdriver

Rode for miles and miles (who knows how far) DRAGGING my flag, 'cuz my axle nut LOOSENED! (No wonder everybody was GIGGLING AND POINTING at me when I'd ride by, and I thought they were just having a good time!)

You'd think I'd have some BEAUTIFUL, PICTURESQUE photos of the ocean or the Dunes or a GROUP photo with the 'Carvr clan...
But no, I took THREE STINKINÕ pics of my KOA CAMPSITE!

Attachments

• Camp Wibby.jpg
    Camp Wibby.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Wibby---nice flag. What dunes, exactly?? So, you like the sand now?? Got plenty of that here! BTW---what constitutes a large quantity in regard to beer consumption. I'm thinking something north of 18---at least, that's where things get a little interesting for me! :laugh:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003

Bubbie3737

Feb 28, 2004
any tips to riding in the dunes for the first time on my kdx? i've rode quads there before, but nothing on two wheels. I got a paddle tire with my bike when i bought it.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Biggest thing is pay attention to what all the other GOOBS are doing, There were QUADS and SAND RAILS and a few other CRAZIES on TWO-Wheelers goin' everwhich way!

Go fast and it's sooo smooth!

Go slow and it just plain ol' SUCKS! it'll beat the snot out of you! You can't turn, well you can, but the bike turns this way and that way and takes you places you didn't want to go!

I did not have any UNEXPECTED GET-OFFS (crashes) :yeehaw:

I did get to SEE 'Carvr do a slow speed maneuver in the DARKNESS that resulted in him laying in the SAND hehehe :laugh:

Wibby how did you ruin your swingarm? Is that the pinging that CC was describing in another thread?

That was it, it was definately KNOCKING!

Caused by sleep deprivation, putting things off to the last MINUTE, LACK of KNOWLEDGE on my part and too much chain slack, or as 'Carvr called it "IMPROPER CHAIN MAINTENANCE!"

Here you ASKED for it:
(Careful they be a lil UGLY!)

Attachments

• Gooberd.jpg
    Gooberd.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 134
  • goobered.jpg
    goobered.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 121

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
If the dunes are like real loose sugar sand like we've get here, here's a few tips. Weight back enough to keep front from digging in. Faster is WAY better. Never put your foot down when it gets squirrely, especially at low speed----that can get ugly quick! Always save some throttle to power out of trouble--- the old axiom, when in trouble, gas it! Let the bike take the path of least restistance---in other words, don't fight for detailed control---just try to generally aim the bike and you'll get where you want to.

I did get to SEE 'Carvr do a slow speed maneuver in the DARKNESS that resulted in him laying in the SAND hehehe :laugh:

----Uh, was he on or off :eek: the bike when this occured?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
-Uh, was he on or off the bike when this occured?

HE was on it, the quads just took off and we were to follow...

Next thing I notice he's trying to bury his front fender in the SAND! :ohmy:

I put my feet down all the time and I was amazed how it did not hurt like it does on DIRT! LOL :clue:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
wibby said:
That was it, it was definately KNOCKING!

Caused by sleep deprivation, putting things off to the last MINUTE, LACK of KNOWLEDGE on my part and too much chain slack, or as 'Carvr called it "IMPROPER CHAIN MAINTENANCE!"

Here you ASKED for it:
(Careful they be a lil UGLY!)

Fer goodness sake wibby...thats nothing that a little sanding and some epoxy won't fix :-) Ouch! Gonna be shopping ebay for a new swing arm I take it?

-Maurice

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom