Sanding rotors

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
I'm going to be installing some new brake rotors tomorrow night (as long as the ice storm doesn't delay the shipping) and I have heard and read a few places that you are supposed to sand the new rotor with a fine grit sandpaper before installing them. Is this needed, beneficial, damaging, or just not necessary?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It shouldn't be necassary to sand them. Just clean them very well with brake cleaner and paper towels.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
if all things being in good shape, a non directional scuffing may help if there is a break squeal otherwise I wouldn't bother. like above just clean em real well

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The new rotors should have a good finish on them out of the box.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
not to disagree or start an argument but just to expand upon my thoughts.....

sometimes when all parts are new and/or correct there can be an annoying squeal when applying the brakes....cars, trucks ,bikes, whatever.... A non directional scuff pattern may cure the problem. Although just slapping on the new rotor will not have an issue 99.9% of the time , sanding the disc is not bad advice just overkill unless you fall into that .1 %

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Waste of time on a new rotor. What Joe said! Brake squeal from worn rotors, sanding yes! And as long as they are not warped or under spec. Vintage Bob

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
brake parts, pay sooner or more later....

New rotors are Blanchard ground to provide exact thickness, parallelism, flatness & that non directional finish due to the orbiting motion of the grinding wheels. Rotor wear results in a taper & non-flatness on the working surfaces, sanding will make the surfaces look better & flatter, but the taper & out of parallelism will still exist. Excessive taper can damage the caliper,if the pads are run too long, due to uneven pressure where the piston & caliper squeezes on the pads,& the piston(s) are allowed to protrude out of the caliper too far. New pads on an out of spec or otherwise damaged rotor will make noise until the pads wear in to the rotor, resulting in a less than ideal condition that will wear on the whole assembly, given time in service.
( bushings & slide pins included) Sanding on a new rotor is unnecessary & a waste of effort & time. :ohmy:
As previously mentioned, cleanliness is of importance.

Last edited:

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
I just remember about reading a TSB on ondemend5, unfortunately I do not have access for it at home, must have read it wrong I guess, I will double check when I go to work Sunday

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…