MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
It started sometime in the night. The soft pitter-patter on the truck's roof gave way to hard, clumpy drops of rain that continued through the night. As I lay in my sleeping bag, I whispered, "Please stop raining." It didn't.

It rained all night. It rained all morning. When I woke it was raining sheets of cats and dogs in buckets. I didn't want to go outside, so I read Racer X for 2 hours in the back of my truck. As it got closer to key time, I grew bolder and decided to launch a pre-emptive strike. I wouldn't wait for the rain to come to me - I would go meet the rain.

Dressing quickly, I stepped outside to find that it wasn't so bad. I could deal with this. I ride a dirtbike for pete's sake. Adding to my good spirits, my bike, which had been outside all night, started with just 2 kicks. I prepared everything for the race and headed off toward the start.

It was, despite the rain, a gorgeous day. Low-lying clouds clung to the sides of mountains and shiny green leaves sprouted from their dark branches. I was excited to race through such beatiful country. And Middle Creek was flowing deep.

Maybe that should have been an omen, but how could I have known? We crossed the creek right at the start and headed into the woods. Within a mile or so came another crossing, slightly deeper but still passable. I negotiated a third crossing efficiently and saw that I had to go through yet another one. (I believe all of them were Middle Creek) Guys on the other side were pointing to shallow spots and I rushed in full of confidence. I was nearly to the other bank when the bike burbled and died, causing me to tip over into the (surprisingly not cold) water.

I pushed it onto dry land and saw that there were about a dozen riders tending to their bikes, some upside down. My own bike would not start. Fast-forward thirty minutes and I finally got it fired up and headed down the trail. My thought at that point was to not hour out, but the Creek had other plans. For shortly after my failed crossing came a fifth! A KTM rider in front of me suggested we walk our bikes over, helping each other. Sounded like a good plan as I was plenty tired after my marathon kicking session a short while ago.

I slowly pushed my bike into the water and found it to be deep. Family jewels deep.:scream: The current kept pushing us downstream, but we made it across. After helping him push his bike, I was tie-erd. Then my bike wouldn't start. Son-of a-. . .

It was now about an hour into the "race" and I had gone 2.17 miles. My goggles were useless, my glasses were fogged up and my whole body was pretty much soaked. I just wanted to make it to the first check so i could take the road back. The trails, under drier conditions, would have been awesome, but it was just a means to an end. But that end would not be quick in coming.

The miles kept going by and it rained harder and harder and I got wetter and wetter (if that was possible). Then it started to snow! It wasn't soft, flakey, oh-isn't-this-pretty snow. It was mean, cold, take-this-you-sob, sideways snow. It hurt. My face when it hit it, my hands because it froze them. I had never been so miserably wet and cold in my life. Then at mile 12 I saw it. I almost teared up. 2 EZ-Ups with a dozen shivering riders huddled around a (thank you!) portable propane heater. After thawing for a minute, we followed the road back down to camp.

It's funny, though. As grueling as this enduro sounds, I really want to go back and do another one. But next time, if there's rain in the forecast, somebody please stop me.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
So how many riders actually made it?
Ya know what your problem was? Should've had a good book, not a magazine, that way you had an excuse - ever read Monkey Butt by Rick Siemens? No? Get that for next rainy enduro hehehe

I remember a trail ride like that - totally demoralising. Guess at least we didn't have creek crossings, just queues of people waiting for their turn to tackle some obstacle or another (not just a couple of people queues - my husband queued for 1 - 1-1/2 hours for one uphill, I got turned back before that, thank goodness lol)

The good thing about events like this is you remember them forever. Damned hard for the clubs running the events though.

Good report :) Makes me glad I wasn't there lol

AKCPlumb

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 3, 2002
Sawmill Flume ride report
A total of 247 riders left the line, as the Forest Service stopped the event no one made it.
So my son and I rode togehter on minute 18 with 1 of our group deciding that he would rather be dry than ride his dirt bike. Just before the riders meeting I walked up to a bunch of guys I new a told them all the the trail wasn't marked with arrows you just followed the 3' wide streams through the woods. Little did I know how true this was ( yes the course had arrows should on been paddles). Our minute came up and off we went and as ggoja said not a problem after getting across the 3rd I stopped and gave a plug to out 02 #1 Enduro Champ (he must not of read the "what to carry in fanny pack" post) and off I went chaseing Charlie who I didn't catch until the 1st reset all the time thinking I now have only 1 extra plug was that a mistake!!!!! I decided that I was just going to be smooth and have fun as it was becoming apparent real fast that this was going to fit the defination of enduro and the last man standing espically with the other creeks that we had to cross that I new we were heading for. After check 3 we came to the 1st real nasty creek, numerous riders on both sides with bikes in various postions to get the non-burning fluid out of the motors, Charlie and I decided to head down the stream to were there were some ripples indicating it was shallower, he rode across but almost drowned out so I decided to walk next to the bike for the 25 yds with the water almost waist high, whew made it and we were off. During all off this the rain just kept on coming, even with my visor taped off I had water running down the inside of my goggles and the biggest issue I had was being able to see. After 1st gas we headed out and hit the snow/hail that stung your face and froze your hands and then started heading down out of the snow and back into the rain, this meant only 1 thing another creek to cross at some point. Then we got to it, it looked like the start riders everywhere, the crossing wasn't that wide but based I what I was seeing it made up for it in depth. As I scanned the section and watched to see what was going to be the best I saw a rider head up the creek to where it was quite narrow compared to the main crossing but the water was smooth which meant that it was very deep. The rider eased off the bank and was about 1/2 a bike in when he found the abyss. Bike disappeared and he was chest deep, nope I not going that way so I headed down to what appeared to be the eaisest place got off the bike and pushed across with the water passing well above my waist. I don't know how but the bike didn't drown out and when I pulled out on the other side I saw Charlie teaching his bike yoga and then kicking the heck ouy of it. When I asked if he had fallen over he pointed up the stream and said I crossed up there which then needed no further explaination. His bike started and again off we went the the last check where we were told that the race was over. As I pulled up to Charlie he said do you want to just go ride this is way too much fun and I said yes, he was right the traction was actually good and I certaintly wasn't going to get any wetter, then we started talking about were to go and realized that if we didn't take advantage of the FS letting the riders go back to camp on the paved road we would be back down at middle creek which was getting deeper by the minute and decided we didn't need another extreme report on DRN. Call me crazy but I actually enjoyed the event and wished it wasn't stopped.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Excellent reports, guys! ggoja, you're the only guy I know who drives the furthest for the crappiest conditions. I'm still glad you went ahead and dug in just so we can hear the outcome of your fabulous adventure!

I've always heard that Middle Creek is a fun place to ride, sans the rain and mud and high creek crossings, we'll all have to go up there some weekend to camp and ride in better conditions.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Jake and Allan,

Thank you for the excellent reports. I'm truly getting wiser with age. I decided to forego your joyful adventure. I had walked over to watch the "A" riders go off. OK the creek crossing wasn't that bad, but everyone was slipping and sliding on the other side. So I walked back to registration and the keeper of the "C" spode book give 78N a DNS, thank you very much. ;)

Jake,
When you showed up Friday night I was conflicted as to wheter to tell you to wait until the morning to enter. I was still optomistic that the weather would hold, so I didn't try to . Bigbird told me that the course was in excellent condiiton. "AS LONG AS THE RAIN HOLDS OFF"!

Alan,
I'm amazed with you "A" riders are able to manage, and still have fun. :worship:

Congratulations to all who were brave enough to try. :thumb:

EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003
Hey there,
Thought I would take a moment and reflect the day....
I rode on #8- dang those dudes are fast!
Water crossings were a matter of survival rather than how quick you could get through. Many that tried to ride through the deeper ones fell and drowned their bikes. I lost count of how many I did, but remember 2 of them required walking while slipping the clutch- water was everywhere!

On one of the deeper crossings I remember looking back and seeing a rider fall and his bike disappear, not even a handle bar was visible, when I crossed it was up to the top of the air box and the engine was blurbaling.
Rides were all over the banks trying to get the water out of their bikes to re-start.

In a struggle to keep warm I burnt a check by ridding ahead- darn :-( haven't burnt one in years.
I wore my gortex winter pants & jacket, winter gloves and gattors over my boots and still was soaked in the first 5 miles, after that I just froze.

Up high there was snow and hail- the hail was a little painful to the cheeks at speed. High wind was difficult in one section that was a 5th gear area. Interesting though is that traction was never a problem, fresh tires help.

At the first gas- 1/3rd way out I thought about calling it quits but didn't- should of but didn't. I pressed on till the race was called off at check 6?? I think it was 6. So I qualified as a finisher!!!
I thought awesome I finished- I am outa here!
At that check there was a small fire going, I couldn't feel my hands any more and should have taken time to get warmed up but it was snowing and the rest of my body that I could still feel was in pain from the cold. I wanted to get back to camp fast.

The road back was long and cold, I kept thinking that the road was good cuz I will get back sooner. As I descended in elevation the snow began to melt from my goggles and body, it was getting warmer I thought but I was still in pain.
By the time I got back to camp I had been out there for close to 4 hours. I was greeted by the wife and kids, they thought wow you look wet!
Then as I tried to get out of my soaked gear they realized just how cold I was- my entire body was bright red, my shoulders were turning blue and I had no feeling in my hands to operate boot buckles and such.
They took over and stripped me down, I was dried off, in a warm camp trailer with hot tea in no time. Took about 20 minutes to stop shivering.

We planned to stay another night but the weather was just too bad so pulled up camp and waited for the gas trailer to return. The gas trailer took a long time to get back due to weather and I believe trying to help other riders out.
By the time we left it was 4:PM and there were still 26 riders stranded out there- the club was on top of it and working to get them in.

Now that I can actually "feel" the keyboard keys I am glad I went.

exctrkllr

Apr 6, 2003
It was a day a wetsuit and watercraft would have been usefull. I got my drowned out recovery time from 35min. down to 16 min. of the 3 times I went for a swim.

TooBadBrad

Jan 31, 2003
Hi Guys, just got back. Don't want to make you feel bad, but two of our guys pre-rode and swept the entire course! I only wish I was still that tough!( or stupid). They did alot of swimming though, and didn't go out today to pull arrows. We got everyone out just before dark on Sat., and retrived the last dead bike this AM. The creek was down about a foot, but still plenty deep. We didn't get any rain on Friday, and only light showers on Thursday, so needless to say we and the USFS were shocked at how fast the creeks came up. Just think, in 20 years everyone will be telling these stories to a new generation of enduro riders, with a few embelisments of course! Thanks to all who braved the elements, you are true enduro riders! If anyone would like to help pull arrows this Sat., your help would be appreceated. We still need more members. Were else can you have this kind if fun and adventure?

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Brad,
I got to help with registration, and it was interesting seeing an event put on from the other side of the desk. Although I decided against riding, I must commend your club and volunteers :thumb: :thumb:

Those are really some extrodinary people, to stay out there, so that others can compete and have fun. :yeehaw: :worship:

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Great reports, guys!
It was very cold on Saturday.......I can't imagine how you guys managed to cross those creeks! :worship:
I went swimming today to test my scuba dive equipment in non-heated pool. And I couldn't stay in the water longer than 30 seconds, because my ears and my brain froze (I had wet suit on). :ugg:

Jake, you have to come back when the weather is nice. Riding in Middle Creek is so nice. You would have liked it, if it wasn't SNOWING.....
Mini

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Thanks for the entertaiment. Truly ... a good read. Glad everyone is thawed out.

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
Originally posted by TooBadBrad
Don't want to make you feel bad, but two of our guys pre-rode and swept the entire course!

I don't feel bad, I bow down to those guys.:worship: I know I'm still a crappy rider, but like to push (and punish:eek: ) myself.

John, I pre-entered, so nothing you said could have swayed me from going out. I'm glad I did.

In my haste to hit the road to SoCal (where it don't snow in April:confused: ) I forgot to pick up my gas container. I have my name and phone # on it. Do you think they'll call?

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
All I can say is I'm am glad I volunteered to work this race..... I earned more points by working than I could have ever earned by riding it :)

In all honesty I expected the race to be cancelled Saturday morning.

We left the CG at ~10AM for our check point - the infamous Check 6. Earlier in the morning I had gone to town and bought 6 Duraflame logs so we could stay warm and offer some 'comfort' to the riders that needed to warm up. We got to our check at about 10:45 and the first riders were due at 12:11 so we had plenty of time to get the EZ-Up situated, tie off additional tarps to my truck and get a fire going - of course we had to use a bit of gas to get the fire going. Hopefully, the ranger didn't see the gas (we were at a road crossing so the ranger was there all day.) I didn't catch her name but make sure you say 'hi' to the ranger with long, dark brown hair - no, it wasn't Matt (the LE ranger). Radio traffic was pretty heavy as the FS and the club tried to figure out what to do with the race and it was decided that our check would be the finish and the riders would return to the campground via the street-legal road. We had ~70 riders make it to Check 6 - I remember seeing Charlie & AKCPlumb, Dave Wood and several others. We had one C rider make it to us. Everybody told us there was serious carnage at Willlow Creek crossing (the last crossing that claimed at least 1 KTM - had to be towed out). Suprisingly, everybody was in very good spirits and was having a good time - except for those water crossings. We ended up closing our check point somewhere around 5 PM and then heading down to where Willow Creek Trail comes out on the fireroad to see if they needed anymore help. Luckily, they didn't as there were already 4 trucks there - 2 2wd & 2 4wd. I would have loved to seen that 2wd Dodge Cummins come out that road. I was slipping around pretty good in my 4wd Dodge Cummins. I ended up getting back to camp at almost 7PM. It had been a long, cold day - spent in a rain suit & rubber boots.

All in all I had a great time and am amazed at the tenacity, perseverance and genuine concern for the other guy of all enduro riders. My hat's off to all the members of North Bay M/C for an excellent event under extreme conditions.

Brian

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by TooBadBrad
Hi Guys, just got back. Don't want to make you feel bad, but two of our guys pre-rode and swept the entire course!

You should have seen their eyes when they got to Check 6 after sweeping the course. Those boys were beat.

Brian

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by ggoja
I forgot to pick up my gas container. I have my name and phone # on it.

Jake,
I might be able to get it for you and bring it down to LA with me when I come in a couple of weeks. PM me your last name/number.

Brian

dp400

Aug 8, 2001
Well the Sawmill was my first "real" enduro. Did the Piglet last month. I got a say - it was wild and I had a blast. I entered with three buddies and boy did we have a lot to talk about after the race. We stayed at my cabin at Clear Lake and were hoping but not betting on dry skies when we woke up for the race. It was raining just fine when we woke. On our way to the race we saw some trucks going the opposite direction - race canceld?? We came this far and wanted to give it a go. Race was a go and we were on min.84.First river crossing - wide and rocky but not to deep - two feet? Second crossing - about four bikes on the other side upside down - trying to get the water out. Guys poining this way and that to give a better line accross the river. Getting deeper but we made it through okay. Third crossing and there were bikes all over the place on the other side - guys kicking and kicking and a few bad words:-) - we had a good line through that crossing until we hit a hole - my seat went under water - OH SHOOOOOOOOOOOOiT - gased it and pulled out to the other side. It's on now!! Last crossing - at least a dozen bikes on the other side - upside down - on there sides - just a mess. There were also many guys in the river - trying to save there sunkin bikes. NO ONE wanted to cross this time!! There was alot of " go ahead buddy". It was like cattle not wanting to cross the deep river. Some would try - most stalled out and just tryed to get there bikes to the bank. Most were trying to walk there bikes accross - that worked best. I walked mine and worked my clutch like a mad man. Made it. I have no idea how long it had taken to get this far but it was only about two miles into the race. Only 82 more miles to go!! So much for wearing rain clothes. I knew this was going to make for at least a year of good stories. For as wet as it was the traction was good - even with my worn tires. At this point I was riding by myself . I was going up one long single track - riding in a deep grove when I saw this wave like flood water coming down twards me. It was soo strange! Rain turned to wipping hail to freezing snow. At check three they said the race had been called. The next river crossing was now too dangerous. I sure as hell didn't want to see another river but I was not ready to quit either.

Bottom line : the club did a great job with what they had to work with. Hung out with the guys at check two for a while - good guys! I had lots of fun and have a hell of a story to tell around the camp fire. I also got to hang out with some good buddies for the weekend.

Dan

Lastchild

Nov 23, 2002
Quite honestly, I was bummed when I got to the 1st gas and they told me the race was called. I had gotten back on time and was in pretty good shape. The course was amazing and the traction wasn't too bad either. I guess I got lucky at the river crossings! I need to get some neoprene gloves though. My hands were toast.

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Well, I was the last person to leave the campground on Sunday. Everyone was accounted for, with two bikes still on the course, but the owners were headed out to get them. I was in charge of signups. It was my first experience being on the other side of the table. I have to say that by Sunday, I was beat. That is hard work. I have some ideas for next year to make is smoother.

As far as the course, I and another NBMC member arrowed the section after check 6. Since the event was rerouted down the road at check 6, you guys missed a great section of trail. Brad set up the course, and I thought it was a great one with enough challenges to keep the A's happy (a couple of sneeky timekeeping tricks), and a course that the C's could enjoy as well. The only problem was Mother Nature decided to throw her weight into the mix. Everyone made it out okay, and I'm sure there will be stories for quite a while on this one. I almost wished I could have rode. I say almost. :eek:

motochick_CA

Apr 8, 2002
I was clipping right along until I picked a wrong line at one of the last deep crossings around mile 2. Wide open, I looked at the bank where I wanted to exit the creek, but instead I torpedoed into a wall of water and my handlebars disappeared from my hands. The motor died and once regained vision, I got off the bike in thigh deep water and pushed it onto the bank ahead.

Having never drowned out a bike before, I had no idea what to do first. My primary concern was not to destroy my bike. I laid the bike on it’s side and let gas run through the carb to flush out the water. I pulled the plug and with the help of Tami and another guy we flipped it upside down and cranked the water out of the engine. Checked the plug, still had spark--good. Kicked on it for another ½ hour and off I go. Had I just picked a line 2 feet further right I would have been ok. One guy said there’s one more crossing ahead, bulldog it across. It would only run with the choke on, so off I go in a cloud of blue smoke.

I took off headed for the next crossing when I came across a pack of stopped guys. Since I was houred out already, I picked through them and stopped at the edge of the rushing creek. This time there was a guy hanging off the opposing bank with outstretched arms yelling to come his way. I went for it. I killed the motor, dismounted and ran in with my trusty steed next to me. I got about ½ way across and the guy was grabbing for any part of the bike he could. The current instantly took over and swept the bike out of his hands. I wasn’t about to let go at this point. He told me to just ride it downstream. Screw that. I put my back to the current and dug in with my legs. Water was rushing around my neck as I tried desperately to hang on to it. By this time I could only read “Renthal” which was now my bike’s personal floatation device on the bars! The guy grabbed on again and with another guy’s help we managed to pull the front tire into some bushes on the bank. Whew. 99% across now. The guys were off to help the next guy in line. I pushed and pulled my bike and managed to get it up the slimy bank and onto a spot where I would have room to flip ‘er upside down. There were several guys going through the motions like it was no big deal. I knew what I had to do, but I wasn’t sure I needed to go through all the motions since the engine wasn’t running during the submarining. I learn quick, I grabbed my plug wrench from the fanny pack and went to town. I rotated my ICO thumbswitch down so as not to smash it, laid the bike over and grabbed the frame and flipped ‘er upside down. Never before Sawmill ’03 had I known that on the bottom of the swingarm read “made in Austria.”

In shorter time than the last, I was off again, choke on and hoping the next river crossing wasn’t this one again at mile 84 at the end of the day. The rain was coming down hard the entire time and the river was rising higher every minute. I lost my goggles in that crossing so I had to protect my eyes the rest of the ride. I don’t’ want to lose an eye from a branch.

The trails were awesome. Good traction and well marked. The wind, hail, and freezing rain brought back fond memories of Quicksilver 2000 as I zapped through the trails. I spent most of the time riding with Eric Elvin so it felt more like an enjoyable trail ride with your buddies rather than a race. We knew we houred out by the first check, but we were still having fun. Enduros get in your blood, you can’t just give up.

The next time anxiety struck was at what I now call Lemming River. I think it’s known as Willow Creek. It was the Mississippi with flood water by the time I got there. I was so cold I was chipping my teeth from them chattering so hard--Most of it was nerves. Guys were just leaping one right after another off the bank into the river and trying to forge across. Some tried it full throttle. Most turned off the engines. I looked at the water up to their wastes and then looked at the height my airbox on the side of my bike. Definitely engine off for this crossing as well. I saw lemming after lemming launch into the river with mixed results on each. I sat there for what seemed like 20 minutes, shaking cold and shuddering at the thought of losing my bike down the river. As guys disappeared from the far bank as they got their bikes running, turned up the urgency for this lemming. I never once saw a good line. There was no good line, meanwhile the river is rising, I thought. I got brave (or my brain froze) and went for it. Wading into the water with my bike to my side I was holding my breath that it stay with me. The front wheel hit a big rock and I gently pulled it up over that and tried to stay calm. Walking on the left next to it with my left hand on the handlebars and right hand on the rear fender holding it close and trying to maintain some control. I picked the line that drifted at a 45 deg with the current. Eerie feeling, dead engine, forging across a river with your bike. I was hoping to hit the bank downstream near where several other guys had gotten out successfully. Once I was pushing the bike onto the shallow bank I was relieved and could breathe again. By this time, I knew exactly what I needed to do. I wasn’t there for more than 15 minutes by the time I was back going again. What an accomplishment. All I kept thinking was “I HAVE to make it to gas.”

There was only ONE more river crossing before the first gas. I caught a glimpse of a lot of guys at the bottom of a hill that the trail traversed down. I pinned it, cool, I thought—a check!” Was I ever disappointed when I reached the bottom--all the activity was yet ANOTHER river crossing. Argh! Will it ever end? How many times am I going to have to pull the plug and flip my bike upside down today? Luckily, there was one guy there at the river’s edge telling me to cross about 4’ upstream from the trail. That way I MIGHT make it to the little window of bank on the other side. It wasn’t a wide crossing, but this sucker was swift water. I would have been better off with a river raft and some paddles today. The guy watched me push into the swift water and quickly get whisked away from my target. He came in and grabbed my bike, ended up on the downstream side of it, so I was pulling with all my might to keep him from being knocked down and run over by my floating bike. His legs were pinned under the bike from the current, but we eventually got the bike to the bank. Little did I know this was the SAME guy in yellow rain gear that helped my on the earlier swift water traverse! I still owe him a six-pack!

I pulled up to the side of the trail and did the routine. By this time I was seeing some familiar faces on the drenched bodies and bikes leaving the banks heading for the trail. I left at 9:38 and it was now after 1:00. Had the weather been nice, I was scheduled to end the entire race just after 2:00. I’ve never been so soggy with cold river water for this length of time. The first deep water crossing recovery would have been a lot quicker had I known then what I know now.

I learned a LOT about river crossings at this one. With the help of my boyfriend, Robert, we promptly tore my bike down on Sun and got all the water out of the transmission oil, wheel bearings, linkage bearings, carb, everywhere. Regreased everything and I’m good to go for the next one. I’m not a bit hesitant of forging into deep water now – but only if my life depended on it!

Cindi Roberson
Orange KTM 200 Submarine

Top Bottom