TMKDXER

Sep 18, 2001
Does anybody know where or how i can get my hands on a used school bus.
Also give me some suggestions on what modifications to make if I can get one. Ive got some ideas (remove most seats, lift, toolbox, small compressor, etc).

TMKDXER

Sep 18, 2001
Frgot to ask if any one knows if you need a c.d.l.(comercial drivers license) to own and drive one?:(
Thanks again.

KTMKyd

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 20, 2001
Try calling the local and surroundings ISD's in your area, that's where alot of the buses come from in low budget movies :D

Also check the city auto impound, I mean, there are still some hippies driving those around, and after all the weed possesion counts they're sure to lose either the flowerdy bus or the peace twinkie, and as I'm sure you all know, the hippies always choose the twinkie over the bus :confused:

-Searge

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
From what I've heard, you'll need a cdl since the # of passengers the bus is rated to carry is over 13. If you yank the seats and get it reinspected and rated to carry say 12 then you should be fine. Also realize that if it has air brakes you need a cdl. One more thing is the GVWR or total weight rating of the thing, I think if you're over 18000 lbs then you need a cdl. Cool project though.

There was a guy that participated in the destruction derbies in Bremerton. He would drive the derby car right up into the back of the bus on a ramp system. Those guys are always fixing stuff between races and when he was done he would drive his shop home. He even painted the bus to match his car. It was an old style with the nose and ran on gas.

It seems to me those busses were always made of aluminum riveted together so it shouldn't rust on you. With a big block gas motor and standard tranny from an old bus you should be able to cheaply fix most anything that goes wrong. I suspect that before the life of the bus is over it is considered too unreliable/inefficient/not modern/ by the school district or they may have stumbled across some cash to replace the older ones.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
sounds like fun ?

I'd try your local state surplus acution! I think I'd look for a diesel© this could be a fun project© do you plan on driving it long distance?

TMKDXER

Sep 18, 2001
school bus wanted

Diesel is the only way to go on the road as far as I'm concerned.Heck yeah I plan on driving it long distances. I live in norther IL, so there's not too much to ride around here. A bunch of my friends and I are starting to plan a Baja trip for after we graduate. If anybody has any questions about the mod's I'm gonna make, email me @ screwboy77x@hotmail.com
:p

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Get a short one! :confused:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Go to a local equipment auction or government surplus auctions.
A lot of the farm and equipment auctions have them around here.
My $.02

Modifacations- have you seen the Subaru advertisement with the School bus converted to an SUV:scream:

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I was joking.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by bsmith
have you seen the Subaru advertisement with the School bus converted to an SUV:scream:
YES! I would take that school bus over the Subaru any day! :) Ever since I saw that commercial I had thoughts dancing around in my head about getting my hands on one and making some "modifications" of my own. Glamis anyone?! :p

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Redneck RVs

The NASCAR crowd are experts at converting school busses. Next time there's a race at Talladega, I'll take some pix of the ones that are left on the side of the freeway. Most of 'em are black, with a huge #3 and "Goodwrench" written on the sides.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
The company i work for makes school buses. We are in the process of designing/developing a new model for 2004 emision requiremnts. If you like i can probably look into what our customers do with the old ones when they purchase new ones from us (International Truck & Engine).

dko36

Jan 14, 2002
I'm part of a group that just bought a 84 26' bus. Was in service bussing kids in Dayton school system in 01. 118K miles, allison auto trans, 427 motor, the thing is pristine! I could not believe the pics of this thing when I found out it was $600. Ridiiculous price for it. I'll e-mail the pics ifyou don't believe it. 12 of us went in on it to use for trips to KY. We will license it as motor home, requires "cold storage and stove mounted to verhicle" Cooler and propane stove zip tied to bus. Maybe porta john. Guy we bought it from has lots of info on licensing/insurance. $600? This is stupid cheap transportion. We're planning on parking outside the bar in Lexington, sleeping there, riding in KY (secret areas) next morning. KY coeds are welcome.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
That's cool. Fleet maintained. Just the engine and tranny have to be worth some cash. Do you plan on loading the bikes inside? is 24' one of the handicap busses?

dko36

Jan 14, 2002
We do plan to put the bikes inside. The rear door is 33" wide. I just checked the specs again. The bus is actually 27' from rear door to back of driver's seat. Lots of space! :D

Top Bottom