CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
Hey, I know it is expensive but I'm thinking about it.

But did I read somewhere (Jeb?) that it doesn't fit well.

If anybody has a suggestion for a similar integrated guard and brake carriet, I'd sure be interested.

Thanks

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
The Scotts rear rotor guard fits perfect on my 2001 520EXC. It's a work of art and has proven it's worth many times over. Very easy to install.

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
I think you are refering to the area the brake pad rests on. It is machined a little differently. The honda CR brake pads will work in the stock brake carrier but not on the Scotts. That is what was refered to as "not fitting".

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
I am wanting one for my KX500. I have a brother that had one on his XR400 and loved it. I've read reviews that it's the strongest out there. It certainly is built the best.

OrangeCrush

Feb 25, 2002
But is it over rated

I had the scotts rear guard on my old bike(was already there when I baught it used) I rode everything from the oregon forest to Arizona rock beds and I don't think I ever hit anything hard enogh to justify $129.00 bucks HEHE! So on my new KTM 300 EXC I put on the pro moto billet shark fin $34.00 bucks. Scotts stuff is so over priced I just can't bring myself to donate to that companies cause :uh: Looks like I'm the lab-rat here I'll let you all know if I break the thing off and wished I got the full scotts later on down the road (though I highly doubt it)............................:p

OrangeCrush

Feb 25, 2002
I shall eat my words now

Well I posted previously that I was wondering if the scotts guard and price was really all it was cracked up to be. I also stated I would be the LAb-Rat and well it happened yesterday..........

30 mile rocky ride in the Az. desert, happened to be some kind of race going on too. Well I never noticed until I got home that I snapped the forward casting lug right of on my stock 300 exc caliper holder thingy what ever you call it..and so the shark fin hung HE HE HE by one lone bolt.............broke so clean the bolt was still hanging in the shark fin hole with the broken threaded casting still bolted to it HA HA HA!

So I shall scoop out the cash for the scotts since I know it won't break and eat my words from my previous post like a man (insert "I told you so" post here you guys) he he....

Anyone have any pre-install requirements? I have the bike apart the caliper is hanging and waiting for the scotts mount, pads fit ok in there unit? should I apply more lock-tite to the single mounting bolt?, does the single support pin rubber boot fit well in there machined hole etc......................

Thanks in advance......................:aj:

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Everything should fit great. I use blue locktite on the bolt. Grease the pins a couple of times a year (more if you powerwash). I bent my Scott's at some point. It wasn't bent into the rotor but I had it straightened. I'd say it paid for itself that day.

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
I guess that will be my next purchase for my 500. I'm doing lots more singletrack here in rocky Arizona, so I'm sure it will pay for itself sooner or later.

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
Orange Crush, of should I say fin crush. Anyway, sorry for your misfortune. Like we said before it's good insurance if you spend a lot of time in the saddle. If you don't ride much and never test your limits then you don't need the protection. Ride on. Oh yea, it's a simple installation. Tom

Top Bottom