willstyle

Jun 7, 2000
I was wondering if maybe I could get some input from the forum. When I start my bike, it revs up really high. I dont like it because the cylinder and bearings are cold and dry. I start it with the choke and turn it off promptly. Adjusting the idle screw has no effect. I am running (I think) a 155 main, 45 pilot. Any thoughts? After it warms up it still wants to scream. It makes it kinda awkward on the trails. I end up using some quick clutch work to not crash. Thanks

Will

heymike

Mar 21, 2000
I would check and see if the slide is sticking in the carb .... or .. see if the cable is sticking ... or if the cable ajustment is turned out to the point that the slide can not fully close in the carb. If it is none of those things it could be sucking air though the manifold (check that it is sealing properly around the fornt of the carb).

itsamelee

May 21, 2001
checking for leaks!!

the best way ive found for finding those vaceum leaks is
grab a can of WD40 start the bike (( this of course is after checking
what mike said))
crank the bike spray the wd 40 in the areas where the gaskets are
and the head gasket ,,,,the place thats sucking air ,will make the
moter sound different when the wd 40 crosses the leak
good luck hope this has helped lee

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Good advice guys.

I have a couple things to add to the list:

- Disassemble the carb and clean it thoroughly with carb cleaner. It could be that the pilot jet is plugged.

- Check you air screw and make sure it hasn't backed its self out. It should be around 1 to 2 turns out.

Take the possibility of an air leak seriously and be sure to eliminate it as a cause. An air leak = a lean condition which can get ugly fast.

David

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
I've had the same problem in the past, where it rev's super high when it's cold but then drops when it's warmed up. I switched from a 45 pilot to a 48, and the problem went away. Might wanna try that too!

Dave

willstyle

Jun 7, 2000
Thanks for the posts. I pulled my carb and cleaned it up and sure enough, the pilot jet was clogged. I didnt get a chance to start it yet due to replacing those worthless 4mm philips-head screws tomorrow. BTW, is it just me or are all the phillips head fasteners on this bike garbage? I am slowly replacing all of the fasteners with socket head cap screws (allen wrench type).

Will

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
Yep, all Phillips head screws are junk. I had to cut slots into the carb bowl screws with my Dremel tool just to get em off. I will still never understand why you guys don't have Robertson (square) head screws down there. C-Dave can attest - they ROCK! They rarely strip out like Phillips and they stay on your screwdriver without any pressure. I guess it's the same with your crazy measurement system too... I won't start on THAT again! ;)

Glad to hear you got her fixed! Have a great weekend riding!

Dave

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
Float Bowl removal

I just thought it was the guy who had my bike before me who torgued the screws too tight. I had to remove the carb, put it on a workbench and tap it with a impact wrench as one of the screw heads was turning to mush (even with several new screwdrivers). Can I just buy hardware allen head screws and replace them?

willstyle

Jun 7, 2000
Any good hardware store should carry 4mm allen head bolts and lock washers. There is nothing special about the thread pitch on the float bowl.

Will

By the way we do use the square drive screws, but for some reason mostly in wiring components and electrical boxes. Yes they are great.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2000
My 220 does the same thing when cold.... seems to be caused by too much air in the initial mix when starting the bike, but evens out shortly after. This only happens when I let the bike sit for about a week, and I can see no other symptoms that would cause this. The reason I think this is because of a few things I've noticed... If I'm out riding and accidentally forget to turn the gas on(or run out of gas), when it runs out the bike will scream for a short moment before cutting out.... seems odd to me and I was concerned about it for awhile but it doesn't seem to harm the bike in any way, and it performs awesome in all fronts once it goes away.

Armadas Racing
'99 KDX 220R

Top Bottom