dbarn

Oct 30, 2000
I have a 2000 KDX 220, I maintain this bike very well, but the other day I noticed that the seat bolts were striped out and the threads in the frame were just about gone. Now I know I didn't cross thread them, but I have to admit I do have a habit of cranking them down probably a little too tight.

I am now in the position that something has to be done. Why Kawasaki uses 6mm threads for the seat bolt is beyond me, but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

I have already purchased new bolts and cleaned the threads on the frame. I was able to get them snug without slipping.
Has anyone had to retap the frame? If so how big were you able to go? The frame area is nothing more than nuts welded on each side.

This really upsets me as the bike is in perfect condition other than this and I can't believe I am the only one that has experienced this problem.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Ya, believe there was another post on that a week or so ago. Those aren't bolts you want to get too tough with. I use a bit of the blue gunk & just snug them down. :cool:

Check your PM.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
"but I have to admit I do have a habit of cranking them down probably a little too tight."

There 'ya go!

Happens quite a bit.

Yep, as jay said, there is another thread running about the same thing. Several choices...helicoil, drill & retap and such.

Yep, as jay said #2...loctite blue all the time. Tighten it like IT'S A 6MM BOLT (Whichistheheadsize,nottheboltsizebuttheheadsizeissmaller'n averagesomaybeit IS theboltsizeanyway it's SMALL!)

etc etc....;)

I think my riding buddy had his seat off twice before his bolts were no more.

I'm going on year three with my '00...and mine are just fine! (smug grin!)

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
I've tapped alost all the 8mm bolts to a 1/4-20 thread! Why? Because I have thousands of 1/4-20 stainless allen bolts! Haha, to hell with metric i say. ;)

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Like we say at work, put it together like you're going to take it apart, because you will next week, and the next...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom