Honda Rider

Oct 1, 2001
Ok, I've finally moved into the big jumps where you need to do 4th gear to clear. But there's this one jump everybody hits in 4th and clears it fine, I find myself going to 5th just to clear it. Everyone I asked say they seat bounce but it scares the crud outta me to stay seated on the take off of a jump. Now, how long do most you guys stay seated? Or can you approach standing up and then kinda bounce the bike at the lip?????????

chadapotamus

Dec 4, 2002
you can sit down all the way up the lip and when you leave the lip the bike will kinda pop you into a standing position. It's kinda hard to explain, it's kind of a feel thing. Don't try standing up and then sitting down right at the lip, that sounds like an instant endo. It's kinda hard to explain, just try it on some smaller jumps to get the feel for it first and make sure you don't get thrown rear wheel high.

chadapotamus

Dec 4, 2002
sit by some of the jumps that the guys are seat bouncing and just watch the way they do it. One of the best ways to learn something is by watching someone do it.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
you guys talking about seat bumps at 4 gear tapped or 5th gear.......be careful! little to much bump will give you a very bad headache.

any kids out there reading this stuff, seat bumps on face's of jumps are technical, don't get doing that kind of stuff until you have really learned your motorcycle!! then do it on slow out of corner type little jumps first!

wardy

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
Wardy is right on! Either try compressing the suspension on the face of the jump with your legs or spend a lot of time practicing seat bumps. Compressing the susp. with your legs will give you a similar result as seat bumping, but without the abrupt downward force the front end experiences.

Honda Rider

Oct 1, 2001
Thanks for the advice guys I'll def. try it on the smaller jumps before I go out and do the jump I'm talking about, it's pretty big, a lot of a guys are clearing 100 ft. on it so I don't think I'll go and try and kill myself on that first.

APOWER

Nov 2, 1999
Why do you want to hit a jump slower? If you can clear it fine in fifth gear, what's the point of slowing down to hit it in fourth? Maybe I don't understand...?

fresnosmooth

Dec 12, 2001
When I seat bounce I am on the gas hard all the way off the face of the jump, usually wide open on the pipe (in the power band). So one time I was tired and getting pretty lazy cruising some trails. I came upon a gap which was actually a big berm dug slightly into the ground (someone built a track there), so I decided to just gas and seat bounce. I was seated too far back and right before I launched off the face I was wheelying which sent me nose really high. by the time I was coming back down I had let go of the bike and couldn't do anything but land butt first and viola broken taibone. Also cracked vertibrae.

Honda Rider

Oct 1, 2001
Seat bouncing allows you to go further/higher-well so I've heard, and I'm not pinning it in 5th, I'm just doin 5th mid, rather than pinning 4th, which would give me more torque.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The only time I ever seat bounce a jump is if it is so close to the turn before it that I don't have enough room to get the speed to clear it normally. Therefore, I only do it in 2nd, maybe 3rd gear with a fairly short run.

If I have time to hit 4th or 5th gear, I've got more than enough room to accelerate and jump it from a safer and more normal position.

Seat jumping (for me) always tends to make the rear rebound more than the front and, while it does throw the whole bike higher, it throughs the rear up more than the front. Doing something like that at the speeds of 4th or 5th gear sounds downright scarey to me.

P.S. What fresnosmooth described did not sound at all like seat bouncing a jump to me.

Honda Rider

Oct 1, 2001
Well, the jump is a big uphill step up, and there's a ton of room to land, so a lot of guys just pin it and see how far they can go. I'm clearing it fine, I just wanna go higher and further.

fresnosmooth

Dec 12, 2001
also the mound tapered away at the top, and that really didn't help.
Anyway thats an old story. I really have to agree with Dave C & wardy, sounds like standing and compessing the susp. is the best way to go on a big jump like that. I don't seat bounce if I don't have to. And if your seat bouncing anything over third gear you are a braver man than I.

AZMotoHound

Dec 26, 2002
Maybe you need to check your suspension settings. It sounds like your compression settings may be to "stiff" or your rebound is too sloooooowwww.

I know when I hit a kicker 4thgear the bike pretty much compresses off of the face under my own wight and acceleration. If you need extra height for this step-up just compress your bike more with your body on the jump face.

Seatbouncing 4thgear tapped?????????????????? DANGER BATMAN!

Top Bottom