Second Annual “Sick of winter” 05 Spring kick off ride @ Holten/ Horseshoe 4-10-05

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Let get a head count for this weekend. :ride: 10am Key time.
Marlin & clan 2 riders
Work Matt & wife (450exc matt) 2 riders

Last edited:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
yzman + kid (Kid has the appetite of 2 adults!)

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Ok directions to Horseshoe it is. If you know how to get to Twin Lake (Cedar Creek) then you are half way there.

Continue North/East on M-120/Holton Road to Holton Duck Lake Road.
Turn North (left) on Holton Duck Lake Road. Take that North to Skeels Road.
Skeels will be the 1st stop sign past the train tracks (a few miles down the road).
Turn West (Left) on Skeels road. Take that down to 184th road (1st street down) 184th is a dirt road. Turn North (right) on 184th road. This will go straight north for a bit then curve to the left around a lake (Horseshoe Lake) then back to the right. It briefly merges with Mckinley road while heading east then turns sharply north again and back to 184th. The staging area is on your right hand side maybe 100-200 yards after this sharp curve to the north.

Hope this helps. :nod:

Last edited:

Godzuki

Sep 22, 2004
well from tt kzoo area so far its me wolfy, charli T and son, and shmeefer. we have 2 unaccounted for yet as to if they are going at this point. thanks for the directions.

CharlieT

Dec 7, 2004
Somebody on the SoW/CC thread had asked after looking at the map if these are dualsport trails or ORV trails??

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
TEchnically there is one section of street.....make that 2 sections about 200 yards long. But its a very remote section of road. i have rode this for years unplatted with no problems. But there is also 2 other loops that are ridable without breaking any laws.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
CharlieT said:
Somebody on the SoW/CC thread had asked after looking at the map if these are dualsport trails or ORV trails??

Woodsy = 1
Larry = 4 (dont tell him I made that nasty little comment) :)
Young Ted = 1/2 (but only in food intake - as a trouble maker he is a 10!!)
So I guess that is 5 1/2 for the Monday Riders..

There are PLENTY of trails that are open to ORV only (no plates required) on this system.. If you have the slightest apprehension of traversing the small sections of roadway due to "legality" issues you will still be able to find LOTS of fun at horseshoe - especially if you like a little tighter trail - NO QUADS THOUGH!! This system is WAY tighter then Cedar Creek and those four wheeled critters just dont fit!!!!!!
Personally, I go with YZMAN on his answer, not that it isnt possible for you to get a citation from an officer who is just having a bad day but if you are LEGAL in every other respect (ORV sticker, NOISE LEVEL, spark arrestor and the like) I have seen the law officers just drive by bikes on those short sections... On the other hand, get beyond the posted trail/roadway without a plate and I guarentee you a problem!! Even if your parked on a two-track instead of the parking area and you ride your ORV stickered unplated scoot 50 feet to the trail your asking for trouble..
I would also say that well over 80 percent of the bikes that use Horseshoe are NOT licensed for street!!!
Hope this helps too!
Woodsy

Last edited:

SPARKEY

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
May 7, 2001
we are planing on riding Sunday.
Looking to bite on that famous Rum cake :)

Sparkey and Nate

wr-ryder

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 4, 2004
anyone from the eastern MI headed over to this ride? I'm thinking about it, would be a good opportunity to check out this trail system with guys who know thier way around it. I might have extra space for one or two bikes, if anyone around Flint is looking to go. If I dont go to the SOW ride, I will most likely go check out St Helen.

Godzuki

Sep 22, 2004
alrighty slap the kzoo gang down for 2 more, thats 7 well have our own little wagon train on the way up. or would a circus train be more appropraite.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
morgan said:
I'm seriously considering it. Been a few years since I've rode this loop. M.

I would STRONGLY encourage you to be there M!! Looks like half the state of Michigan is coming and representation from 4 different states are going tobe here as well!!
I gotta feeling this ride is going to seconded only by the Rites of Spring and even then not by much!!!
Gonna be good time - in the old town - that day!!!
BRING ON THE DIRTBIKERS!!!!
Woodsy

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
And Woodsy suppling the BUNS :yikes: :rotfl:

CharlieT

Dec 7, 2004
Godzuki said:
alrighty slap the kzoo gang down for 2 more, thats 7 well have our own little wagon train on the way up. or would a circus train be more appropraite.

Personally, I would like to think of it as more like:

The Magnificent Seven!! :cool:

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
I'll be there, all the way from Chicago. Curtis

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
70 marlin said:
And Woodsy suppling the BUNS :yikes: :rotfl:

You just be carefull about whatyou say concerning my Buns there Mr. Marlin - you aint so far off the "rotten sucker" list you know! :nener:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
woodsy said:
You just be carefull about whatyou say concerning my Buns there Mr. Marlin - you aint so far off the "rotten sucker" list you know! :nener:

Scott; where’s father Nelson when you need him? :laugh: How many Polish sausages do you want me to put you in for? :ohmy:

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Father Nelson is being the well behaved, as always.

morgan

Nov 30, 2001
Hey guys, I need a little help here. Is there a halfway decent (won't get my steering damper stolen) hotel/motel in the area----Twin Lake, Holton, or even up the road towards Fremont that you would advise? Sure be nice to get a fresh start in the morning----i.e. I'm lazy. Thanks fellas---M.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I cant really think of anything in twin Lake or Holton. I am sure that there is something in Freeont though. Otherwise Muskegon will have something for ya to sleep at.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002

go to wal-mart in the automotive department...With all of the trailer lights, wiring, hitch balls there is a really long cable lock (and thick). It's like $15 then go over to hardware and buy the HUGE Masterlock...it's the thickest one there.
We have this on our bikes, drove to Florida and back stayed at 3 dif. hotels (one kinda shady) and nothing happened to them. we looped that thing through the frames and rear tires and then locked it all down to the trailer. We also have the smaller cable lock that is in hardware attached from the front wheel to the handlebar. We live in a duplex right now and have to share the garage. This stuff all stays locked down.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002

Hi M..
There is a motel in Fremont called the Harrington Inn. There address is 1117 W. Main St. Fremont Mi 49412 (in case you wanna mapquest them) and their phone is 231-924-3083. I sent Hopsing (a friend that Young Ted intro'd me to) there and the report came back as a very nice stay!! To find Horseshoe from there get on the main road that their driveway comes in on (M-82/Main st.) and go west. Follow it west to the M-120 intersection (Wesco will be on your left, Harley shop on your right. Continue west thru this intersection and you enter Muskegon County and are now on Skeels Rd (name change). Stay on Skeels around a big sweeping corner and you will see/cross Holton Duck Lake Rd. After crossing Holton Duck Lake Rd go to the next intersection and you will be at 184th. This gravel road will be labeled Schow Road on your left (south side - Muskegon County) and 184th on your right (Oceana county). Turn Right on 184th and follow it around Horseshoe lake and you will see the new trailhead on your right..
Now I gotta go back and dig up YZAMAN's instructions because he made a big-little mistake in his detail that may just get someone lost and without my expert leadership skills they may never be seen again - IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE!!!
See ya Sunday!
Woodsy

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002

Yo - Don
Maybe consider an edit on this post.. 184th is actually the first gravel road to the right after turning west on Skeels off Holton Duck Lake Rd.. Also please note that 184th is signed as Schow Rd. on the left side (south side) of Skeels but 184th on the right side (north side) because of the county change.
YZMAN, please stop cutting into my turf trying to get people lost will you.. There is NO ROOM for two of us and I amnot hiring right now (business has been slow since I lost those to salesmen last year up by Boon..) :rotfl:
Woodsy

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…