Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I'm pretty confident that we will be able to ride the Gladwin loop on March 29th after checking out the area this weekend. As soon as the frost is driven from the ground the water will easily drain and we should be good to go. So heres the deal:
1. Meet at the trail head at 10:00 AM
2. We will have a variety of rider skill levels
3. I know my son Nathan is coming - his second official trail ride.
4. Trails will be sandy, whooped and have lots of quads on them
5. We will ride the North 30 mile loop take a break and get gas and those that want more will ride the 20 mile south loop.
6. We can go to Standish for some chow afterward.

Trail head is located off M 61 on the south side between Gladwin and I 75.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
Fred, In your opinion will the Gladwin trails be in pretty good shap for riding this weekend? We have about 8 guys meeting on sunday the 24th to ride the trail, anyone else interested in riding you are welcome to come along.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
You should be OK. I't possible that there may be some spots that have some ice or snow on them but it will be scattered and passible if you slow down. Lots of water on the trail unless the frost breaks so plan on getting wet and take some spare rear brake shoes! I wore out a new set of sintered rears on one pass through the north loop. Have fun!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Just an idea...maybe Leroy can give us some ideas of a place to eat near Gladwin.  Traveling further east for dinner takes some of us farther from home.

Looking forward to it!!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Thats cool with me Mike, I just don't know of anything in Gladwin. Check with him. Thanks! There used to be a bar on M61 called the "wooden shoe" I don't know if it's still operating and serves food though. 25 years ago we used to stop there while riding our bikes.
Fred

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
I have seen better but............;)

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Wooden Shoe is still open.
Closest place to eat is Rhodes Cafe. I really recommend this place. From the ORV parking lot head south on Center FireLane. Turn left on Grim Road and head East for 1 mile. Turn Right on Klender and follow it 2 miles south to, uh, the road it T's into. Turn left, head 1/2 mile to Rhodes Road and turn right (South) on it. 1/2 mile further on Rhodes Road is the cafe, looks like an old building on your right.
Marcelli's (spelling?) doesn't open until later in the evening. Their food isn't that good ;-)

We should have the re-route in place on the south loop by the time you plan on riding. If you can, please ride it a bunch to help break it in. The new section is about midway on the South loop, it brings the West side back across Center FireLane to the East Side; probably about a mile south of the Parking lot. If the new stuff is in place, you will not be able to head West from the parking lot anymore.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I recognised the bridges you made on the North loop. 3-4 new ones if I recall. BTW- the real bad water hole just after (or before) Sterling Truck route on that 2 track looked pretty dry by spring standards, like the water was dammed off or something. Did something change there - that spot is usually 3 feet deep this time of year. I did notice that it had a real sandy bottom too.

Beak in some new trail -hell yeah! Hope it's ready for us!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
NEW TRAIL......I am there!!!!

I did talk to Leroy this evening.  If he is in the area that weekend, he will try to be there.  He did confirm that the Wooden Shoe has reopened.  This restaurant is just east of the parking area on M 61.

Drew 674

Jul 25, 2002
i checked the weather and it said 44/32, it will probably change though...

nobody has answered marlin's question...leave the studs on or dirt tires??

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by Drew 674
i checked the weather and it said 44/32, it will probably change though...

nobody has answered marlin's question...leave the studs on or dirt tires??

I doubt that you will even see much snow by March 29th unless it's new snow. :scream: The thaw is on and the sand should be soft by then. My spikes are coming off tomorrow.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by Fred T
BTW- the real bad water hole just after (or before) Sterling Truck route on that 2 track looked pretty dry by spring standards

Nothing on our part, just a real dry spring thaw. Bids are out to put culverts in up on that section. Also a culvert going in the one last mud hole on the east side of the North loop, just north of M-61 (we decked the other spot in that stretch).
Parking lot is supposed to get a big re-do this year, hopefully twice the size. Not figured out how to keep the kwads from making a race track in the lot yet though - ideas welcome.
Don't get too excited on the new trail section, all of the new stuff is going in through a clear-cut section (cut several years ago). We are definitely losing trail miles. I dream about adding trail miles, but we have a few projects to finish, lots of swamp to avoid and education to keep people on the legal trail.
They tried to post the new trail today, but the frost was still in the ground. I'm hoping it's gone by this weekend and will be out there regardless. This thunderstorm may help get rid of that frost..

On a new trail note, the DNR is putting in new miles of trail up around Kalkaska. Not sure exactly, but supposed to be expanding an existing loop.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I figured at Gladwin there would be no need for studs, unless the temps dropped back in the freezer :<( I was thinking about heading off to a pre ride to some place like Leota this weekend. But the boss axed that with mandatory over time:<( So the studs should be coming out on Saturday

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I just got a message from the DNR/ORV tech and he said that the ground is no longer frozen in Gladwin.&nbsp; He was in Gladwin yesterday installing sign posts.

Good news as long as the weather cooperates!!!

WALKMAN

Oct 11, 2000
yes guys i'm still alive! my new job is exhausting (well same job, new demanding company!). ironman and i rode the north and south loop sunday afternoon, absolutely one of the best rides i've ever had! perfect traction, mid fifties temp, good riding buddy, little mud and the kx was rippen! only three compliants 1) two grooves in the trail (sometimes too deep) 2) the south loop came to a sudden dead end ( guess we got caught in the middle of a reroute)3) fatherandson,fred t,jrccc,digger and the rest of the guys were'nt there. no snow, no ice and no frost. rickshaw dig out the enduro jacket it will be worth it! i took the mid 80's pink (i'm sorry, fuschia) sinisalo jacket but peeled it in a hurry! p.s. ask ironman about highsiding a berm in 5th gear on the xr! about had a headon when we were both supposed to be going the same way!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by WALKMAN
, absolutely one of the best rides i've ever had! perfect traction,

Oh Man, I am sooooo ready to ride! Ain't skeerd of no stinkin' rain..I'll be riding Sat anyway. See ya all at 10:00AM. Don't be late!

Top Bottom