Second year in a row I DNF my first race of the year

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Last year our first race was at Sunset Ridge (Walnut, IL). I was pumped and got the holeshot out of a 30+ rider field (Women and 125C combined) and lead both classes for a lap until I was hit from behind in the air and crashed hard. Tore my rotator cuff in a few spots and went on to miss several months of racing last year. :|

So my shoulder is feeling better now, still not strong, but doesn't hurt as much. And we have our first race of the year this past weekend at LTM (Casey, IL) - home of DW00 and DW01. I'm real happy because I finished the first moto in one piece and got second outta seven of us. So second moto, I wanted to give it a little more and maybe try for the moto win and overall. I pulled the holeshot with the first place girl right on my butt and I went into the first double-double section. I've done the section probably a hundred times over the past years, but it wasn't built up this weekend and it was hard to get the lift on the first double (and the landing was peaky and tall). Well I decide to go for it and I remember landing the double (I got my front tire over) and next thing I know everything goes black and I wake up with my face buried in the side of the track and four EMT crew surrounding me.

I think to myself "oh no not again". The EMT's were freaked because they saw the whole thing and I hit hard and face first since I had no clue I was about to crash and couldn't break my fall. I slowly picked up my upper body and raised my arms and was relieved that they worked, even though I couldn't feel my face. Then I got up and was assisted back to the pits but was able to walk on my own. I get to our trailer and poor Red sees me with the EMT crew, a mouth full of blood, a banged up face, and a broken helmet.

Luckily I only ended up with shiners under each of my eyes, a mark/bruise on on my forehead, some other face scratches and marks, a chomped tongue (thats now purple and black and red), four loose front teeth, a busted up lip, some neck marks, a bruised and bleeding hip bone, and a bruised knee. Nothing that a week or so won't heal (unless the hip is worse that I thought) although the people at work are gonna freak when they see my face tomorrow. Red says it looks like Mike Tyson and me went a few rounds.

Saturday was a little rough after the crash but I went to bed around 8 pm and woke up feeling a little better Sunday and decided to give it a go again. First moto I had a bad start and passed up to third to battle with the second place girl for two laps and gave up and settled into third. Then second moto I wanted to push a little harder and I got the holeshot, but got passed after a few turns, and held down second for a few laps, then dropped back to third again for third overall outta nine.

Next year I will make it a personal goal to finish my first race or else. This has gotta stop! :debil:

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
nikki said:
Saturday was a little rough after the crash but I went to bed around 8 pm and woke up feeling a little better Sunday and decided to give it a go again.

Dang, you are tough!

My report would have read; woke up feeling a little better Sunday and decided to soak in a hot tub all day.

Glad you weren't seriously hurt.:uh:

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Wow! good to hear you ok, a little banged up, but other wise ok.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
nikki said:
Luckily I only ended up with shiners under each of my eyes, a mark/bruise on on my forehead, some other face scratches and marks, a chomped tongue (thats now purple and black and red), four loose front teeth, a busted up lip, some neck marks, a bruised and bleeding hip bone, and a bruised knee.

Talk about tough, I know many who wouldn't start that sentence with "Luckily I only ended up with"

Glad to hear your ok other than the stated injuries. Now Red grab that camera you never know when those pics will come in handy! :laugh:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Glad to hear there were no serious injuries this time.

Ol' Sarge can relate to that section too!:)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Nikki your one tough girl! Returning to moto after a major endo. My hats off to you!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
nikki said:
Luckily I only ended up with shiners under each of my eyes, a mark/bruise on on my forehead, some other face scratches and marks, a chomped tongue (thats now purple and black and red), four loose front teeth, a busted up lip, some neck marks, a bruised and bleeding hip bone, and a bruised knee.

Only! Ha, funny Nikki.

If that "only" happened to me, I'd be crying like a 13 year-old cheerleader who just lost her favorite pompom. :whiner:

Glad to hear that you raced on Sunday. Heal quickly and heal well.

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
Nikki
Maybe you shouldn't push so hard the first race. It's a long season. Heal up and be safe. :thumb:

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Dapper said:
Nikki
Maybe you shouldn't push so hard the first race.
What he said,.... alot of times those 'first race jitters will get you all out of sorts, try to settle into a groove during practice, and start the first moto in that same groove, as your confidents builds, so will your speed.
Way to hang tough girl,....its hard to get the confidents level back up after a good spill!
:thumb:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Sheeesh Nikdog, if you'd told me on the phone that you were going to do something like this we would have come on over. Sorry we didn't get to see you and Red a bit longer Fri. night. Heal up and bring pics to the STL SX :thumb:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Someone remind me not to make nikki angry with me ;)

Heal up quick, nikdog!! Woof!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Thanks everyone for the replies :)

I've already had a few coworkers freak out.... I think I'm gonna start telling them I got in a bar fight - easier to explain.

Although a few of them seem motivated by the whole riding thing - and feel that they need to find a passion like I have with riding/racing MX. So that's kinda neat.... I guess.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Im sorry Nikki. I love you.

Dont do that to my boy again. :P :)

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
nikki said:
I've already had a few coworkers freak out.... I think I'm gonna start telling them I got in a bar fight - easier to explain.
Ouch, thats gotta hurt. Glad to hear the shoulders OK. Do ya have a pic of the helmet?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
WaltCMoto said:
Ouch, thats gotta hurt. Glad to hear the shoulders OK. Do ya have a pic of the helmet?
Pic of the helmet hell I want face pics :eek:
Glad you are feeling ok and got right back on the bike. Stay in one piece we want to see you at Walnut in a couple weeks
Now I can give you riding advice when we get there. not that I know anything about crashing

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Ahh, the teeth young lady, the teeth....... How are your chompers? I hope they are tightening back up. Are they?

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Damn Nik-Dog!!!!! I just read this and I can't believe you rode again on Sunday after that massive crash!!! You da Woman!!!!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I think I scared Red when I told him to take pictures - and if he ever made me mad, I could use them against him. :ohmy:

It was a joke - but I think he missed the humor. Although my old boss at work is now referring to me as "battered wife". Go figure.

The teefers still have a little wiggle and my mouth is sore. Got a few holes in my inside lip/gums where they hit my teeth so eating and drinking and brushing my teeth is a little challenging. :|

Top Bottom