seized spokes... any thoughts?

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
Hey All,

I have a 1993 KDX250. I just pulled off my worn rear tire and noticed some significant rim deterioration. It's real bad (flakey), so I'm going to put on my spare rim/hub assembly.

Rather than just scrap the damaged rim, I'd like to salvage the spokes and the hub. I tried to remove the spokes but they're seized quite badly. Any thoughts on how to get the spokes out?

I tried some "Liquid Wrench" on the nipples, no luck. I've seen guys clamp a vise grip on the spoke and then break the nipple loose with a good spoke wrench. Is this an accepted procedure? Does it damage the spokes having the vise grips "squished" onto them?

Would applying heat help?

Thanks for any ideas.

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Buy some new spokes bro,,, and while the hub is apart, Put some new bearings in(best time to do it).. If you take the rim in to get done they will ask if you will get new spokes. You know how they take the old spokes out,,,,,, Choppy Choppy!!! They dont mess around with that but i dont know, thats just what they did for me. Both of my rims were redone. Actully the only thing i kept was the hub. I repainted the hubs black, stuck new bearings in both. Bought new spokes and nipples, Rim locks,2 new tubes and 2 new tires and 2 new black excel rims. WOW the kdx looks a whole lot cooler...

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Yeah, dont worry about saving all the spokes. Go buy a new set of spokes and nipples.

For the ones that do not come out, use a hacksaw and cut the spoke

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
If you have to have the spokes out, try marvel's mystery oil and a torch. Several sessions of hot and cold while being covered in oil will work the oil into the tight spots, this also works for carb jets that won't come out.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i used a product called pb blaster (it seems like the only product that does what it says)and with the tire off the rim sprayed the nipple where it meets the spoke and the side under the rim strap for a day or so and they all broke loose with a good spoke wrench

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom