rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I have a question, i dont like using my clutch to shift.. when upshifting, is it a good idea to let off the gas a little or just stay on it?? Only time i use the clutch is to feather it in a turn or keep from looping out..
Thanks in advance..
Rick

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I'm the same way. When upshifting without a clutch, I let off the gas for just a second, jam it up a gear, then jam the gas back on.

Last edited:

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
As I see it, it only takes a second to use the clutch to shift. I wouldn't risk doing damage to my gears just because I don't want to clutch it. You also can get a little boost in power when using the clutch to shift.

Just my opinion.

Lee W.

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
I'm the same way as LWilson250, It takes no time to pull the clutch in and shift,I mean why don't you guys go ahead and use it, You to darn lazy, I don't see the big deal on shifting without the clutch, I mean you do everything pretty much at the same time anyways(Let off gas,pull in clutch and shift). YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SHIFT WITHOUT THE CLUTCH FAST ENOUGH THAT IT WILL DO YOU GOOD,Just use the darn clutch, Thats what its there for, Maybe you need an Auto clutch if you don't know how to use it, Matt

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
Lee,
How do you know if Herb used the clutch or not ????
Most of the cats in our series probably don't use the clutch either during the races.
Your transmission is not going to just explode, because you don't shift with the clutch. All 4 brands have transmissions that have evolved from factory bikes and steady improvements each year , while using the same cases and gearing. So they are built to last more than just one season.

See ya

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
I really don't know if Herb used the clutch or not... But I don't want to risk anything. I don't see any reason to put more stress on the gears and clutch then I have to. I can't aford to replace a gear set if I bust it... Some people never use the clutch and if thats what works for them then fine, I just don't think that you should not use the clutch because it "takes to long".

Lee W.

RiDiN19

Apr 7, 2002
I think the clutch is put there for a reason and that reson is to use it, and if you're rich and you have a enough money to replace all the gears you blow that is fine but I use my clutch. I mean no offense but thats just what I believe.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Everything I have ever read has stated to use the clutch when up-shifting and that you do not need to use the clutch for down-shifting.

-jeffd

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by XR400RMan
I'm the same way as LWilson250, It takes no time to pull the clutch in and shift,I mean why don't you guys go ahead and use it, You to darn lazy, I don't see the big deal on shifting without the clutch, I mean you do everything pretty much at the same time anyways(Let off gas,pull in clutch and shift). YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SHIFT WITHOUT THE CLUTCH FAST ENOUGH THAT IT WILL DO YOU GOOD,Just use the darn clutch, Thats what its there for, Maybe you need an Auto clutch if you don't know how to use it, Matt

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
XR400BOY... Im not to lazy to use the clutch, and i know how to use it.. Everytime i ride i just want to get better thats all.. WHen i said "Let of the gas" i wasnt meaning let off all the way, just a "blip"
Rick

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
Correct me if I'm wrong but by not pulling in the clutch and poppin it up a gear isn't that putting alot of stress on the bike since the gears are still moving?.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
One thing youve got to understand is a dirt bike transmission is constant mesh. you never take the teeth of the gears out. Each some of the gears have pins and some have holes and they slide on a splined shaft, as you change gears there is a drum with grooves in it that move forks that move the gears. If you do it right shifting without the clutch doesnt hurt much, if youve ever driven any sort of car/truck without a synchronized transmission you know how to do it, if you are shifting up, dont just shut the throttle and shift, match the motor to the next gear. hope that helps.

trivial

Feb 14, 2002
I always use the clutch. It has never been so much of a hassle or caused me too lose so much time that I have felt the urge to ride without the use of it...it will certaily get you through the corners faster with proper use.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I use mine alot in the corners.. Was just curious on up shifting..
Thanks all..
RIck

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
If you do it right shifting without the clutch doesnt hurt much, if youve ever driven any sort of car/truck without a synchronized transmission you know how to do it,

have to agree with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!most of all the truck drivers I know only use the clutch for 1st and reverse.

One thing youve got to understand is a dirt bike transmission is constant mesh. you never take the teeth of the gears out. Each some of the gears have pins and some have holes and they slide on a splined shaft, a

yes that is true one hundred percent if you time the rpm drop of the engine when you let off for an instant on the throttle with your upshift it will probably wear less on the gears on any transmission then if you grab the clutch full throttle and speed shift.
On a motocross bike most of the time you really only need to let off the throttle only to get the trans out of thegear your in. With the undercutting of the dogs of the gears they are self energizing to help find and hold them into gear<probably not the best way to put it but its as close as I can get with my vocabulary>

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
RICKYD:Everytime I ride I want to get better also and I have been, But shifting with the clutch does not take enough longer than shifting without it to make a differnce in my opinion, If I went out today and got on a dirt road and took off and did not use the clutch when I shifted and then the next time I used the clutch I don't think I would have accelerated any faster the time I didn't use it, There is no reason to not use the clutch, I get better everyday but I still use the clutch, Its like your saying if you use the clutch you won't get any better,Rubbish. I don't have anything aginst you but I and others have tried to make our point clear, If you want to tear your tranny up then go right ahead,Nobody here will feel sorry for you when you grind your teeth up, Matt

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Using the clutch, or not using the clutch while upshifting is a matter of personal prefernce, that is all there is to it. Some believe that it will wear the transmission, and so they use the clutch, nothing wrong with that, as shifting clutchless must be a fraction harder on the tranny. However, I think the extra amount of wear is negligable, because I know there are bikes out there that people have ridden for 5 - 10 yrs, shifted without the clutch, and the trannys are still fine. I guess it depends on your personal style, and probably that is learned from when you first drove a standard transmission. Personally, I use the clutch, but not because I'm worried about my tranny. I just learned that way. And I always give the motor a quick blip when downshifting, instead of letting the next lower gear speed it up. I think that saves a lot of tranny wear. Just my $.02

Oh, XR400Man, you won't grind teeth in a bike tranny from clutchless shifting, the gears are in constant mesh. You might be able to break some pins though...

Last edited:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by XR400RMan
RICKYD:Everytime I ride I want to get better also and I have been, But shifting with the clutch does not take enough longer than shifting without it to make a differnce in my opinion, If I went out today and got on a dirt road and took off and did not use the clutch when I shifted and then the next time I used the clutch I don't think I would have accelerated any faster the time I didn't use it, There is no reason to not use the clutch, I get better everyday but I still use the clutch, Its like your saying if you use the clutch you won't get any better,Rubbish. I don't have anything aginst you but I and others have tried to make our point clear, If you want to tear your tranny up then go right ahead,Nobody here will feel sorry for you when you grind your teeth up, Matt

XR400man,
I think you missed the point of my original question, i wasnt asking if to use or not to use the clutch for shifting.. What i asked was when not shifting w/a clutch, should i let off the gas for a little.. Part of the fun for me in riding moto-x (no i dont race) is doing maintenance on my bike..
Thanks
Rick

GriFF

Mar 26, 2002
I'm fairly new to dirt biking, but when I'm accelerating hard on my sportbike, it is easier and faster to up shift without the clutch. I tried it after taking a riding class at Willow Springs Raceway and it made a big difference for me on the straights. I've had the same bike now since '97 with no gear problems.

In addition, I usually suffer from serious left forearm fatigue (pump) when I do a lot of riding. Clutchless up shifting enables me to ride in comfort for a lot longer.

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
Griff,
You hit the nail on the head !!!! I am racing the bike and whatever makes it easier or faster for me , I will take advantage of it. Now whatever happens to this bike after I sell it , that's tough. That's why they ask if it has ever been raced and want less for your bike. I use my clutch enough in the woods and my arm gets pumped up too, so when I can ,like on straights or fending someone off of a pass , I will not use the clutch if I need to shift gears. I babied the bike for about 6 months and then snapped out of the new bike mode and for the last 18 monts have been shifthing without the clutch.
So far I haven't found any cogs in the oil !!!!!!

See ya

Top Bottom