Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Well I have a customer that wants to buy a bike from me. He lives in Canada. He does have a ship to address in Maine but needs all appropriate paperwork filled out for declarations and Canadian registration. Anyone been through this process that could give me some pointers.

Thanks in advance
Jason

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
What kind of bike? It makes a difference if it's a closed circuit race bike or a street legal dual sport. If it's a street legal dual sport it will have to be run through the RIV program ( http://www.riv.ca ) and meet all the requirments. If it's a closed course race bike it is exempt from this process and should require nothing more than a bill of sale and I think but am not sure that you still have to supply the VIN to US customs at least 72 hours prior to export.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
its a Cobra 50cc...for those that are unsure yes its closed circuit race bike. It comes with the MSO paperwork and a Bill of sale. I guess I just need to prepare documents so it can be declared and get the import duties paid.

Jason

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I do not believe there will be any import duties on the bike, he'll just have to pay the appropriate taxes (GST and PST) at the border and he should be good to go. Again I'm not sure about if he needs to supply US customs with the VIN 72 hours prior to bringing it into the country, that is a requirement of the RIV program but for these bikes it kind of falls into a gray area. I am looking at doing the same thing with a CRF250R at the moment but haven't ironed out all the details yet.

Top Bottom