schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
ok, I was hit by a crazy kid recently, and now my bike only shifts into first & second, and those are hard to get into.

the bike shows no external damage.

I was hit in the foot, and I'm guessing the bike that hit me pushed in on the shifter (and i'm guessing it pushed in with quite some force).

I was told it was a "bent shift fork" or something of that nature.

If I'm wrong, please tell me otherwise, but if that seems a logical explanation, then please let me know if you muse split the cases to repair it, and if it is a difficult thing to do.

thanks, Alex. :coocoo:

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
ok, cool

that does not require the cases to be split, right?

well, I'll try removing those, and I'll check them for bends, cracks, or any deformity.

what are symptoms of a mis-alighned shift shaft & boss?

how do I get them back in place?

hey, I removed the clutch cover and the clutch actuation cover and the covers around there, and they wouldn't go back on quite right.

maby that's the problem!

thanks.

foxforks, this is a 1976 Kawasaki ke 175 rotary valve 2-stroke.

does this change anything?

any other pointers you guys might have would be awesome. thanks, Alex.

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandi...d~279105~model_dept_name~KE175(KE175B1)US.asp It is still april,that is one heck of a shifting mechanism! The trans needs to be in neutral,see if there is some kind of index marks to center on the mechanism on the end of the shift drum and the edge of the drum. Or check for a sequence in the spacing,neutral has a shorter throw. Aligned then the shaft assembly slides in,then check it.The case holds this in place,if it moves over an 1/8 inch then it will jump out of sequence Some have sleeves that go on the shifter side to help this,make sure the springs are in the proper position to hold the selected gear in place,the drum rotates between some type of spring loaded stops,the one with the shortest degree is neutral. CONFUSED YET,you really need a book,they are all a little different but basically the same. Do not force that clutch cover on,it is a snug fit for a reason,it does more than hold the oil.Good luck

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
wow, thanks.

that helps a bunch. I'm so thankful for this site and all the knowledgeable people in it. you guys have helped me countless times.

yep, I'll be able to fix it now.

to the salvage yard for some non-warped/bent parts!

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
bending it will take away its interidy it originally had and it will become prone to easier bending, like if you fell it could bend all over again.

Top Bottom