Yz250JdT250

Apr 26, 2004
Hows it goin guys, I need to get a steering stabilizer for my 1998 Yz125. It has stock clamps. Do they work with the stock clamps? The high speed oscillations are killin me so i figured id blow a couple hundred bucks on one. Whats a good cost effective setup?? :ride:

PeteN

Jun 5, 2000
I have a GPR and really like it. Never thought much of them till I got a Suzuki that liked to shake its head, now I won't ride with out it. I think you need to get new clamps.

Yz250JdT250

Apr 26, 2004
What kinda clamps do i need? I know what you mean, at somewhat high speeds and high speeds if you hit a bump or something and the bars wobble really fast.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
WER...no clamps needed....... and it's out of the way, down on the fender.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
If you by a new WER it will come with everything no clamps or post needed.
GPR and Scotts will sell you a complete kit also. More $'s though. If you're buying a used GPR or Scotts unit unless you just get lucky you will have to order post and clamps from them. At least I think thats the best way of making sure you have the correct hardware.

tn_tuxedo

Oct 9, 2004
I Have a WER damper on my '98. It's much less expensive than a Scotts or GPR but the mounting location makes it vulnerable to damage. The mounting plate can be bent in a crash and change the angle of the small connecting rod's travel, limiting how sharply you can turn. Oh yeah, you'll need to hack up your number plate, too.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I didn't chime in yet because I hadn't tried it until yesterday but the Scott's damper is a must have. I was amazed at how well it worked when riding through rocky crap. At first I wasn't sure if it was the damper or not since this was my first ride of the season but when I turned it off the difference was amazing! I wish I had gotten one sooner.

If you can get the bolt on version then do it. It fit up perfect and was a snap to install.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I be honest I don't know what the weld-on brackets look like. The bolt on version is so stable that wouldn't think there are any advantages to the weld-on...plus you can remove the bolt on if you want.

Either way is fine.

oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
tn_tuxedo said:
I Have a WER damper on my '98. It's much less expensive than a Scotts or GPR but the mounting location makes it vulnerable to damage. The mounting plate can be bent in a crash and change the angle of the small connecting rod's travel, limiting how sharply you can turn. Oh yeah, you'll need to hack up your number plate, too.
With the WER the plate is made of aluminum so it could be bent back fairly easily. I also think that if a crash is violent enough that the chance of damaging any damper may be just as likely.

I bought a used wer cheap. Had the seller send it directly to wer for a rebuild. So I ended up with a fresh wer for under $200. I was able to make the weld on bracket from a small chunk of angle iron so it didn't cost any extra.
From what i've read everybody has there favorite pick as far as which damper they used. I've tried running with my wer hooked up and then riden with it disconnected. I think I spent my $200 very wisely!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
A friend of mine rode with a guy that had just put a WER damper on his bike. 5 minutes into the ride and he crashed and bent the bracket straight up and they had to disconnect the linkage just so they could finish the ride. I know a lot of people that use the WER and swear by it but I have never heard any stories of the Scott's damper breaking in a crash while I have heard of several with crash damage using a WER.

Any damper is a good thing to have :):)

Yz250JdT250

Apr 26, 2004
Yeah, i dont want to have to deal with bent brackets and stuff, so ill go with the scotts. I have Factory Connection suspension, so it'll make it a very nice ride. I'm splitting the engine cases tonight... Need to put new crank bearings in and all the case bearings, and a new shifter shaft, and possibly a wiseco clutch basket. Then i need to get a rear rotor, chain block, and sprocket/chain kit.So it'll be a little while until i get the dampner :think: .

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
My WER has been around for 10 years. Been through a KDX, a WR250, and 2 RM's. Have rebuilt it twice, have also done a lot of crashing. Based on my experience, I find no grounds to be worried about vulnerability.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom