Shopping used bikes/fear of rebuild rfs cost$?

kitchener

Apr 6, 2005
I'm shopping '01-'02 bikes (KTM 400 EXC or 300 EXC)and '03 bikes (Yamaha WR 250). There's an 01 400 EXC I like and a friend mentioned the one downside of a 3-4 year old rfs is the eventual cost of an engine rebuild, especially since I myself am a non-wrencher. But, dropping ~$3k on a bike, it'd be nice to have a bike that's not going to need anything significant, beyond maintenance, for a long time... I can patiently wait for the best low hours/good deal to come along :bang: or find one that has already been rebuilt.

And that's where my question lies. Should I be afraid of, or happy to find, a rebuilt engine? I was told by the bike's owner that to prepare it for re-sell, they rebuilt the motor, on top of the usual: new plastics, new chain and sprockets, and tires. After a rebuild of a rfs, assuming I maintain it as recommended, what should the re-build's shelf-life be?

I'm an Eastern rider ridnig only on weekends, half the time chasing my 5 year old and his XR 50.

Thanks.

Last edited:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I wouldn't be afraid of a rebuilt engine. This usually means that the bike has been looked after. The only exception is Honda XRs, if they have been rebuilt I would avoid them, because they are rock solid reliable and will only need a rebuild if they've been abused. Try and take the bike to a dealership to get looked over, usually the mechanics will find any problems with the bike.

Top Bottom