Need help on figuring out if a used bike is a lemon?

crazytimski

May 3, 2007
Hey guys, and girls

Im looking at getting a used 125 for my first bike, and being new to this i dunno whats a good deal and what isn't

I found a 1999 CR125 for 2200 canadian... soo thats $1990.27US

Thing is the guy was riding it 2 seasons ago when something happened with the rad, so the engine cooked itself. He took it to the shop and they basically rebuilt it from the bottom up.

I asked the guy why he was selling it, he said cause of his apprenticeship, he'd lose benefits so it wasnt worth the risk.

or is he just selling it cause he knows this thing isn't worth holding on too?

Price too high? just right?

Thanks everyone

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Well... If he isnt lying the price is OK. You could probebley go down a little but not that much.

And ask for the reciepts from when he had it rebuilt. That will tell you if he is lying or not. Also ask for him to start it up for you.

slinger34

May 1, 2006
If he is willing to let you ride it a little while he is there then it probably is not going to be a problem bike. the price i would say is alittle high. i woudl say maybe 1400 to 1600 is a fair price.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
My dad paid $800 for a 97 CR125, I paid $1300 for a 2000... I'd say that bike is a bit over priced.

Unless it's in almost perfect condition.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
For the Canadian market I'd say the bike is about market price wise. A friend of mine just sold his 97 CR250 for $2250 and I just sold my 86 RM125 for $1000 and had a line if people trying to beat each other to my door for it at that price.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Smashing a radiator is an easy thing to do. A smashed up radiator would be prone to leaking. If all the water leaked out the engine would overheat. An overheated engine would sieze, requiring a top end rebuild.

The story sounds fine. If the radiator has been repaired/replaced and the top end rebuilt then the bike should be just as good if not better than it was just before the engine siezed.

Rod

May 5, 2007
Thats a little over priced id say 1400-1500.No more than that or your getting ripped off.Also make sure the radiator is fixed right not no redneck engineering.If there is oil coming from the cases or cylinder,dont buy it.If its coming from the pipe thats a jetting issue and can be easily fixed.Test ride,do not just hear it run.Because ive sen bikes start easy but run like Crap.And if that all checks out it should be an ok bike.hard to tell about rliability though but my 02 honda cr 80 is very reliable.Ive always heard hondas were very reliable also

Top Bottom