short guy bike modification question

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I saw no reference to koubalinks made. Some reason why?

You can lower the kdx over 2" in a couple minutes. The fork clamp location can be changed to suit.

Change the whole thing back in just as many minutes.

Devols are good for about 3/8" in the 'long' setting. Note they come WITHOUT the required KX250 (or similar) bolts and washers.

....but they're only about $15 a piece!

mule

Nov 7, 2001
Hey canyon carver... check out this message that kouba sent me... (this is from the head kouba!
"Set up as I described (3" of rear sag with you on it.) you will only be .65" lower when your weight is on the bike, there again it depends on where you set the rear sag as it does with the stock setup. With the 4" of rear sag with you on it with the KDX2 links the rear will be 1.65" lower. You will not believe how much lower it will feels even setting the sag at 3 inches because it can never rebound that last 1.65". I am not fond of cutting the seat down as I set down a lot these days and it is removing some padding that my backside really enjoys, the jell seats are a little better for lowering than cutting yours down but are really heavy and pretty expensive."
He also mentioned this... "On the KDX's we do not recommend sliding the forks up much farther (as only 1/4 inch farther) than when they touch the handle bars as you are getting close to allowing the front tire to hit the fender when fully compressed. When the rear sag is set at Kawasaki's recommended 100mm with the stock links the bike sets a little high in the rear but turns really quick for enduro type riding but is a little unstable at speed, so most rides prefer the rear to be a little lower compared to the front to get a little more stability and slow down the turning, just depends on rider preference."

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
After spending a little time on my bike as I set it up, I'm not so sure I like the rear as soft as it is. I looked at Kouba Links but they don't list them for KX500s. If all you get from the Devol is 3/8" that ain't much.

I do find the longer link interesting though. It would allow me to tighten up the rear a bit and still keep it kinda low. Since it's 10* outside this AM, I'm in no hurry now. I'll probably wait until spring and do some more adjusting to the rear before I start spending money. I might even look into making a set of links myself.

Love to tinker, I do!

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
So what's to stop someone from making longer links?

I e-mailed Kouba today and he confirmed that they don't make them for the KX500, but he did give me the dimensions for what he thought would work.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…