Short intro & a question on larger wheels (RM85)

Ryan23

Jul 3, 2006
Hello everyone. Just picked up an 05' RM85 for my girlfriend (26 years old) to learn to ride on. Couldn't pass up such a great deal on the bike and I think she'll appreciate a 2 stoke over a 4 stroke in the long run. I've been teaching here, she's getting better. She's 5'5, ~145 LBS. I set the suspension sag @ 3.5" and it seems to be doing pretty decent (no bottoming). The bike came with PR2(?) suspension.

The bike still seems a bit small for her. I started looking into a set of the RM85L wheels & an "L" swingarm for it. Is that all that would need to be changed to convert this to an "L"? Does anyone know any good resources for finding these parts (other than a dealer/****)? I'll be honest with ya, we just bought this bike for $1400. I'm not looking to spend half that amount just in larger wheels. If anyone has an "L" that is looking for the smaller wheels, ours are in perfect condition. I'm located in Maryland. Thanks a bunch!

Ryan

Cody305

Jan 19, 2006
If you convert it to a big wheel bike, you will also need to put a larger sprocket on the rear wheel. The difference between an 85 and 85L is about 5 teeth. You will alslo need a larger chain to match the extended length and larger sprocket. As far as replacing wheel sets. look on e-bay. I have been bidding on a rear wheel for our CR85's
I was able to pick up a front wheel(complete) for $150. Rear wheels (complete) go for as much as $350) but it is still cheaper than buying new.

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
Guts Racing makes tall seat foam and covers for you bike which should help.

We are runnning the tall seat with medium density foam on our YZ85.

Yz-85

Jul 6, 2006
you can buy a new spring or "shock" for the back it will raise it up. thats what im doing for my yz85. fast and all but yet a bit too small so yeah a rear spring and then maybe adjust to bigger wheels

Top Bottom