XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Truespode
What do ya'll think?
I think you should get a bigger rig!:confused:

How hilly is the country where you're gonna do your hauling? How much does the trailer weigh alone (figure 500-700 lbs for bikes/gear/gas/etc)? What's Ford say that rig is rated for as far as towing?

I guess, as long as you're not in a hurry to get anywhere, that Ranger should do the job.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Since you haven't posted the approximate weight of the trailer loaded or the towing capacity of your Ranger I can only offer this advice.

DON'T DO IT

Pulling that trailer with your Ranger will only cost you more $$$ in new brakes and a clutch. Either teach your wife to drive your truck or buy a vehicle that can easily tow that trailer.

BTW - If your Jeep is an automatic, make sure it has an external transmission cooler.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
2.4L? Ford's 4 cylinder is a 2.3L, my pickup with the 2.3 has a towing capacity of 4800 pounds (standard shift 5 speed) and it'll tow every bit of that 4800 pounds. The thing you want to be aware of it tounge weight. If the tounge is heavy with the weight so far back the springs might not be able to handle it. You could look into a weight distributing hitch setup but I doubt it'd be worth your while.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
At 2200 lbs. fully loaded and a 4800 lb. towing capacity, weight may not be a problem. However aerodynamics and a hilly terrain will be. Electric brakes are a good idea provided they are already installed on the trailer. Avoid shifting into fifth gear when towing and be sure to increase your travel time to account for slower speeds. Be prepared for dirty looks and the bird when travelling on one lane roads with little passing opportunities.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Ivan,
You might want to double check that max tow capacity and other limitations like combined gross vehicle weight. I found some pages that indicate newer 4 cyl 4x2 reg cab rangers w/manual transmission have quite a bit less towing capacity than 2,200 pounds - more like 1,400 - 1,600 pounds.

Here is a link

http://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/2001_ranger_1.html

smb - you might want to double check your manual, as well. This page indicates the gross combined vehicle weight (that's truck, gas, occupants, trailer, etc...) for a 4 banger Ranger should not exceed 4,800 pounds. The 'dead weight' is not to exceed 2,000 pounds and the tongue weight should be no more than 200 pounds. BTW, the 4 banger Ranger weighs around 3,100+-.

http://www.fordtruckprices.com/Ford/Ranger/Reg_Cab_2.5L_XLT/2001/specs.html?target=_parent

Ford is usually conservative on their tow ratings for manual transmissions, but pulling a 4,800 pound trailer with a 4 cylinder 5 speed Ranger is asking for trouble.

Last edited:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I towed a 1962 Ford Falcon (estimated weight of 2500 pounds) plus a U-haul tow dolly (U-haul's website claims a weight of 710 pounds but that's a buncha crap) and the truck wasn't even breathing hard. Brakes performed flawlessly and I didn't have to slip the clutch to get rolling. There are different axle and gear ratios available for these smaller trucks, my mazda owners manual says I can tow 4800 pounds, doesn't say anything about combines weight but you might be onto something there.

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
Trade the 4 cylinder standard for a 4 automatic for your wife to use when you need the jeep. I agree it seems too much trailer for the little guy.

biker

Sep 22, 2000
If the tounge weight is too much, you can always take it to a suspension shop and get another leaf added to your rear springs. I did this to a Toyaota Tacoma V6 that I pulled a landscape trailer with. It made a huge difference.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
FYI for when you go for that bigger truck. My full size 2001 Silverado 1500 Reg. cab. with a 270hp 4.8L V8 and 5speed manual, heavy duty suspension, optional larger tires and high flow air filter gets 19 to 20mpg. As long as you stay away from 4:11 rearends, super heavy duty suspension, 3/4 or 1 ton suspenions, dualies, 6L engines, 4x4s and quad cabs, aerodynamics has more effect on gas mileage than engine size. Check the mileage on any 6 or 8 and even some 4 cylinder trucks and there is not much difference.
A friend of mine bought a 2001 V6 Ford Ranger auto, at the same time I got my Silverado and I get 5 to 6 mpg better than he does.

Last edited:

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I would reconsider pulling that trailer.. A guy I know bought a '97 F150 4x4 with the 4.2L V6, he pulled a loaded 14x6 trailer with it.. In 1000mi he had 3 tire blow-outs, and 2nd/3rd gear came apart in the tranny. (5spd standard)

Clutch

Jul 7, 1999
While we are on the subject of Rangers towing stuff, what do you guys think of a new 4.0L SOHC V6 Ranger towing one of those 8X10 enclosed trailers? My Mom has a 2000 Explorer with the SOHC 4.0 w/ automatic, and I stomped it a couple of times and it really scoots. I think it puts out like 205HP and 238ft/lbs of torque. Of course it feels fast compared to my 94 2.3L Ranger, which struggles in the mountains with 2 KDX's in the back of it. I have to downshift to 3rd sometimes, and stand on it, and turn the A/C off!!! Not that I am complaining, it's still a great truck. I am asking this because I was thinking about my next truck being an extended cab Ranger with the SOHC 4.0L motor and a 5-speed tranny, is this enough to pull an enlclosed trailer full of bikes? Anybody have this motor in their Ranger, and what kind of gas mileage are they getting? My 2.3L has 106,000 miles and is well-maintained and gets like 25-26MPG, with a personal best of 29MPG. I know the 4.0L will be less, but after romping it a couple of times in my Mom's Explorer, I'm addicted to the power, and I know the Explorer weighs more than the Ranger, so a 4.0L Ranger with a manual tranny must really scoot!

Old CR goat

Sponsoring Member
Nov 10, 2000
Ivan, I realize that this is an old post but I believe that I have your problem solved!!
Since I have a 6x12 open (very lightweight) and a bigger truck! I would be willing to let you borrow mine for as long as I can borrow the 7x14 enclosed.
I wouldn't make this offer to just anyone but for you, hey just glad to help:cool:

Top Bottom