Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i am confused on what i should do, i rode a 04 125sx and loved it but one of the dealers around here has some 03's left over for a thousand dollars cheaper. i know the suspensions are different between the two years but what about the motor, is the 04 that much different that the 03?

k-ryder

Feb 10, 2004
if you are gonna put that over $1000.00 back into the 03 its the best choice. if you dont the 04 is the better choice.

a properly done 03 will be better than a stock 04.

they take the same jetting

the 04 comes with the doma/v-force stock........if you get the 03 have the dealer give you a 20% discount on a pro circuit pipe/silencer & v-force when you get it, if you get it.

suspension 2004 is pretty good but you'll bottom it. 2003 sucks stock. the blue lining is for about 650-$700 the 2003 can be alot better than the stock 2004 ( but there goes your $1000.00 ! including your pipe,v-force) there are a couple mods i'll tell you about when you get the bike.
have i confused ya yet ???

good luck, the 125sx is a blast !

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thanks for responding if i buy this bike. i plan to put the thousand back into the bike eventually.does the suspension on the 03 bottom easy? i weight around 170lbs, will i need new springs? i dont do any really big jumps yet, i just got into mx last fall, the biggest jump i have done so far is about 50ft. table top. is the pro circuit pipe the best for this bike? you can adjust the power valve on these bike for more bottom end right? have you done this mod, cause im just wondering if it really works. i think i would need to do this mod and adjust for more bottom end since i am used to riding a yzf 250.

k-ryder

Feb 10, 2004
i have a 03 with pc pipe, v-force reeds, ported cylinder, 38mm carb, sxs head, pv mod, precision concepts suspension.....i'm 200lbs !

love the bike

the suspension will bottom off big jumps (stock).....but should be ok, not great everywhere else.
on the pipe, the pc is great for the average guy but i feel the sxs (doma) is better for the more advanced guy's.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Lonewolf the stock shock will be ok for your weight. the fork is a different story. Stiffer fork springs with a lower oil height will help out untill you get a revalve. The pv is easy to ajust but keep in mind the 125 will have a hard time matching the 250f bottom end.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thanks for responding elf, i realize that the 125 isnt going to have the bottom end that the 250f has but i want to get the most i can out of the 125.. are you reffering to the 03 or 04 or both when you are talking about the suspension? i think if i get a 125sx im going to go with the 04. i read in an issue of motocross action that novice and int. riders should go up a tooth on the rear sprocket, i guess im still concidered a novice in mx, what do you think, should i mess with the gearing?

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I would by the 04" it is a year newer and has better standard equipment. If it takes $1,000 to get to the same condition as a 04 you are at the same price and have a year older bike. Of course I just bought a 03 525sx for $5,000 out the door and could not of been happier. At 170lbs I would think the standard springs would be pretty good for your weight.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
dont forget, the 03 will be worth $500-1000 less than the 04 when you come to sell it- if you can sell it at all since 2 strokes are a nightmare to sell right now.

i am in the same predicament, i am thinking about an 04rm250-its the wrong time to buy one really- the 05s arent far way!!!!

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Lonewolf said:
.. are you reffering to the 03 or 04 or both when you are talking about the suspension? .............., should i mess with the gearing?

I was talking about the 03.

If your buying the 04 you can leave the gearing stock, 1 tooth doesnt make that much difference anyway.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
bclapham,

I just sold two 2-strokes in a week, no problem. First people that looked at them bought them. I got $3,400 for a 2002 RM 250, which I thought was great, I was asking $3,600 and I only paid $3,000 for it from F&S, although I did put about $800 in over the last year it to get it the way I wanted it, but i rode it for a year and a half for $400. If your bikes are clean and have everything in good working order they will sell.

I would wait until the 05's come out and try and get a real good deal on an 04' unless they are much improved, which I doubt they will be. This is a very bad time to buy, I like buying in the winter the best, but in San Diego I guess it doesn't matter.

Top Bottom