Should I install an FMF on my own and what about E Bay...

Fred Bates

Aug 17, 2002
Dear KDXer’s.
Spring is here and I’m needing to get my fat body on my poor KDX. Got 2 questions for you all. Ill try to avoid the, “I’d like to tighten up the suspension and need some more power…“ questions which makes everyone collectively think, “Read the fu$#‘ing Tech Tips!“ :aj:

However, my first question comes close. I am not the best mechanic. When I successfully changed the chain and the primary gear on my ‘89 KDX I felt a sense of accomplishment like you guys would feel having done the top and bottom end and KIPS on your works ‘02 KDX. My question? I have on lay away a FMF Fatty pipe I am a few dollars from getting. I understand it’s pretty straight forward to swap it for the stocker. My hopes are I can stay with the stock jets. Having listened to my mechanically challenged self description, is putting this pipe on a slam dunk, or should I leave it to the pros?

My second question is less likely to get the “Read the fu$#‘ing Tech Tips!“ vibe I will feel in my waking and sleeping hours. :eek:

I was thinking of selling my stock pipe on Ebay. It‘s a 1989 in good shape. I’ll keep and use the stock silencer/spark arrester. Second question. I have seen some folks selling used motorcycle parts on E Bay. They look like they came off the same old bike and are over priced. My question? I was thinking of doing a fund raiser for my church while gaining parts to build a nice old bike by selling parts on E Bay. :clue: I have a fondness for old Honda SL 125‘s like the one I rode when I was 15. Would buying old 125 carcass, selling some of the pieces and keeping the ones that could build one good one, raise money for my church, gain Fred mechanical knowledge and eventually a nifty old bike, or am I under a sober delusion? Be honest but kind. :uh:

Fred‘s tread has gone on too long.
:worship: Thanks for your time!
Fred in Derry NH.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Hi Fred,
Jerry says hi! Jerry thinks he likes it when talking in the third person. Jerry also thinks you could put that pipe on yourself or give up riding altogether. However, for a church boy, you're lible to use a few words you will need repentance for later on. Swearing is part of the offical installation instructions for that pipe.
Good luck selling used stock pipes on eBay. Not much of a market when everyone upgrades their pipe sooner or later.
Also, selling the crap parts from a SL125 and keeping the good ones isn't going to net you much money. Not much market for selling parts you wouldn't even want for the one you are building. Jerry gained his knowledge rebuilding basketcases like Fred is thinking about doing and it is a great way to learn how to wrench on a bike.
Jerry's answer to Fred's tread (sic) has gone on too long.
Later Fred!

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
You'll need to lean at least the main jet. My first bike was a '71 SL125. I loved that bike! My dad made me sell it when we were out riding together and he broke his arm crashing his super lame Ducati 250 at the gravel pit we were riding at. He said I was a crazy man and if he broke his arm I was sure to kill myself the way I rode. Of course' 32 years later I've never had an injury as bad as his broken arm. The first thing I did when I left home was to buy a new dirt bike (MR175 Honda).

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Fred, you can do it. It'll be a couple springs and and a couple bolts for the pipe. Jerry is right though--you will take up swearing at least for the time you're doing it. :-) It's all a matter of patience. Make sure you have moly grease for the o-rings and I've found the $5 spring pullers handy little gadgets to remove/install springs.

Carb-wise, you'll take up swearing too, but there's nothing in there you can't handle either--1 bolt for the collar for the intake boot and one bolt for the collar for the airbox boot; 4 screws for the float bowl, and the tophat screws off though you can change jets in the bottom without taking it off.

Patience and not trying to force things are the keys. Make small changes and usually as few as possible at one time so that you can back out the wrong change. The manual also helps. BUY THE MANUAL (if you don't already have it). :-) Rebuilding basket cases is how most of us learned. If you want to rebuild an SL, start by finding the best one you can afford and figure out what needs to be fixed on it. Chances are, the worse shape its in, the less chance it has of being resurrected either because of excessive cost or lack of interest after awhile. I would not start by collecting parts first because you don't know what the bike you end up with will need unless you luck into some brand new or barely used parts or there's parts that fail frequently, like the electricals. I look for donors after I have the project or I'll at least keep notes of where I found the donors.

Greg's answer to Fred's tread has gone on waaay too long. :-)

Best,
Greg

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom