Should I start my bike everyday???

rocktop15

May 7, 2002
I just recently bought a 98 CR 125 and it won't start. I've gone about 2 days w/o starting it and now it won't crank up. I can kick it till I'm dead and it still won't. I tried rolling it down a hill and dumping the clutch and it started up but it was like it was flooded/ wouldn't rev. This is really pissing me off because I'm used to my reliable old XR200 that would start up everytime.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Cant tell from here whats wrong, but something is. None of my 2-smokes need to be started to keep them in tune. Our bikes sit for as much as 3 weeks at a time, then fire right up. Do you turn the gas off when parking?

Shift-MX

Feb 10, 2002
pull the plug it may be fouled, if it is buy a new one. If you put a new plug in and it still doesnt start then it maye be your CDI box.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Check your compression, if the bike has never had a top end, it will need one. (Unless it was ridden by grandma on sundays after 4Pm)

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Check the plug most of the time its the plug I let my 86 CR 125 sit for months and when I went to sale it. It wouldn't start all of a sudden and I kicked till my leg was pumped up and put in a new plug and started on first kick.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
My friend has the same problem with his '99 CR125. It's a pain in the butt to start after its been sitting for a few days. His top end is alittle old, so I was thinking that that could add to the trouble starting. But if its real hard to start, then you can just clean your plug with steel wool and wd-40 or get a new one.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Honda26
Turn the gas off when you shut the engine off. This will keep it from flooding.

Sounds good to me!

Considering it's age it may need a top end really bad. Mine did the same thing back in May. The piston was in great shape but the ring was worn to half it's width up front. Buy the kit and feel the power!

My .02 Phillip

GMX

Jul 23, 2002
my little cr80 hasn't had a top end job in 12 years and I raced it and got 12th lol. Im getting rid of it tommorow

2000SE

May 7, 2002
I turn the gas off and continue running the bike for a few more minutes to clean out the carb a little before I park it. Seems to help a little

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Originally posted by 2000SE
I turn the gas off and continue running the bike for a few more minutes to clean out the carb a little before I park it. Seems to help a little

Running it out of gas also means you're running it out of oil. Do you REALLY think it's a good idea to run a 2 stroke without oil??

2000SE

May 7, 2002
i dont run it untill it dies....just a min or two to burn a little fuel out of the carb. It usally has a small amount of fuel left in the in carb but not enough to gunk it up.....I agree that running the machine with no oil is not good...

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
When you go to start it, lean it on its side for about 5 seconds, this will replace the old gas with newer gas in the carb. Mine starts first kick every time after doing that. It helped when I had my 92' also.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…