Showa twin chamber question

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
In these forks, is the cartridge and outer fork tube completely sealed from each other so that the oil/fluid in one cannot interact with the oil/fluid in the other? Thereby allowing you to run a different oil/fluid in each? I am being told this is so but it goes against what I have believed all along.

Thanks for any info.
Derek

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
That's correct, in Showa twin chamber forks, both chambers are separated and can use a different fluid. This is different than Kayaba forks where the oil is somewhat circulating.

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
So, has Showa changed the twin chamber design since those on my '94 RM250? Those circulate fluid between the chambers.

NO HAND said:
That's correct, in Showa twin chamber forks, both chambers are separated and can use a different fluid. This is different than Kayaba forks where the oil is somewhat circulating.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I know Honda started using the Showa twin chamber on their CR250 in 1997. I don't know about Suzuki.

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
But I didn't think they were completely sealed from each other. I've changed the fluid in those forks before and when refilling them, I partially fill the outer tube and pump the rod to fill the cartridge and clear all the air out. So how can they be completely sealed from each other? I thought the 2 chambers circulated fluid with each other.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…