Showa twin chamber cartridge leak??

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I'm helping out a friend with his Showa twin chambers off a late model CRF250. He suspects the inner cartridge to be leaking where the cartridge rod enters the cartridge. Is this a possibility and is there a simple fix, other than cartridge replacement?

Thanks,

Jim

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
Still slutting yourself around the web I see, Jim.
I would presume JW has the seals. If not, I know they are available from RT. You will need to remove the damper rod from the cartridge. There are four peens that maintain the seal assembly in position. Drill these out to a depth of 2.5mm using a 3mm drill bit. If you are struggling with the metric it is appr 1/8". The assembly will now unscrew using an allen key. When reassembling the cartridge use teflon tape to cover threads on the damper rod and a liberal amount of seal grease. This will avoid damage to the new seal. Don't be tempted to fit one of those FC oil lock rings while you have it apart. If you are that gullible, I have a cheap watch you may be interested in.
Terry

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Terry, You are a gentlemen, a scholar; and from I understand have a very nice walnut cracker ass. Perhaps I can give it a squeeze or two when you come over to the states.

Thanks for the information.

Jim

Top Bottom