los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Alright, I just got an early Christmas gift from my girlfriend! A pair of the new Sidi Vortex boots! I have not yet ridden in them yet, so I'll update this review through break-in and periodically here-after.

Out of the box:
A very nice looking boot. Harder rubber soles than Alpinestars, but not too difficult to walk in. All of the stiches and seams seem to be very precise. I wear 8 or 8 1/2 street shoes, and usually get size 9 boots for the big socks. These were 9's and fit just about right. There alittle snugger than the size 9 MSR System 6's (same as Alpinestars M6 or M4). The ankle area feels very snug and supportive. About the same as MSR's. The bukles are easy to use and adjust. These are a bit taller and I like the way they hold my knee braces up.

Some of the things that looked cool on the website aren't as cool as I though they'd be:
-The tall outside panel of the boots are made out of some hard, silver nylon cloth, not leather. It looks and feels tough, but it seems like it will be hard to get out ground-in dirt or stains.
-The thin velcro top strap seems like it might be prone to tearing.
-There seems like a lot of places that dirt can camp out and evade cleaning. The plastic straps that the top buckles are mounted to are not fully sewn to the nylon material and seems like dirt can hangout behind there. Also, the colored shin plate is rivited to the base and it is pretty flexible. It seems like the dirt will get behind it.
-I didn't get a chance to try them on before I got them, just ordered off of motonation.com. That's one thing that's not so good w/ Sidi's: not alot of local dealers carry them and no mail or internet ordering except from motonation...so you're going to pay retail.

Those are just minor concerns though, so I will start breaking them in this weekend. The ankle is pretty stiff, so I'm anticipating a few missed shifts, but I don't think it will take too long. Walking around the house for an hour has helped consideralby already.

Well, I'm looking forward to updating this post in the near and distant future! :thumb:

Last edited:
Top Bottom