cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
Thinking of putting on a silencer, but keeping the stock pipe. I'm an intermediate weekend warrior rider, mostly snowmobile trails in upper MN, and I'm wondering if this even makes sense??? Should I not bother unless I get a pipe too? Would I have to rejet with only a silencer added? Looking for minor power gain, but not too much yet. Wanna ride a few more weekends before going with new pipe. I like small increments to notice changes and advance my skills a little at a time. Let me know if I'm whacked.

-Seeya:think

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
if I'm not mistaken (and I could be) the stock KDX silencer is a decent unit. The pipe is what makes all the difference on these bikes. If you're looking for power you might go with the obvious if you haven't already. Removing the airbox lid, cleaning up the jetting, and going with a less restrictive air filter. I've heard, don't know if there is any truth to it, that removing the spooge from the silencer improves performance :think

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
I guess I didn't mention that I run without the Airbox cover. I have not rejetted though. Was told by know-it-all type guy at the dealer that I didn't need to. Plus they wanted $9.95 for a stinking jet!! He said here in MN at 700ft with temps one day at 60 and the next at 90 (which is true) not to worry about the main jet. He said move needle clip up one and that's about it.

Maybe I will have to get the pipe. One last question. Can the stock unit be called a silencer, or is it a spark arrestor? Or are they the same thing? I'm basically looking for a little more throttle response with ever so slightly greater ability to pull wheelies. It only pulls them in 2nd and sometimes in 3rd. Could be my riding style too, but I was on an RM 250 and it wheelied for me too much. I don't want that much, just a little more than I've got. The 250 felt too hairy on the trails I ride, but my 220 is lacking just a tiny bit. Maybe a larger rear sprocket, or 12 tooth front?????

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
It didn't look like there was any way to mod my stock silencer, it's all welded up. They just give you one drain bolt to get rid of excess spooge. i would go with the pipe though. It won't give you some crazy amount of extra power that takes getting used to. It does however give you alot more usable power everywhere. You'll still feel right at home on the bike but will like it even better. Remove or mod the air box lid and rejet too. The gnarly rev pipe was also a direct replacement for the stock one. Takes like 5 or 10 minutes to install. The tcII silencer is another story though. I had to go buy some gromets and longer bolts and stuff at the harware store and make some spacers to get it to fit right. Oh yea some people have to trim some of their back fender to get the rear mounting tab to fit, I just modified the mounting tab instead.:D

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
Chodeman: I think you're right. The pipe is probably the ticket. What about the Rev pipe and keeping the stock silencer? Or do you have to buy both to get the full effect?

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I started out with just the pipe. I didn't notice too much of a difference when I added the silencer. I am leaving right now to pick up some boyesen reeds and jetting parts then go for an afternoon ride. Probably install the new reeds this week and play with jetting next weekend.:) The rev pipe did make the bike a lot easier to wheely too.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Hi cudmak,

Replacing the stock silencer isn't a really big bang for you buck mod. It drops a few pounds and you will notice some improvement but its really quite subtle. The stock silencer is really quite good, though a little on the heavy side. I'd suggest having a look at a FMF KG-30 rev pipe for your bike then if need be adjust the timing as per your shop manual to even out the hit a little if need be. If you do a search there has been a few post on the subject in the last while. If you can't find'm get back to us and I'm sure someone can walk you through it.

The power delivery with the rev pipe is still very friendly/ KDX like. Not to worry it doesn't turn it into an RM250.

An aftermarket pipe works very well with the stock silencer.

David

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by Canadian Dave
Hi cudmak,

Replacing the stock silencer isn't a really big bang for you buck mod. It drops
An aftermarket pipe works very well with the stock silencer.

David
I agree with Dave. I just got the Rev pipe and it woke the bike up and it is still quiet with the stock silencer. I'm happy iwht it -now am going to install Boysen Reeds to improve throttle response.

Top Bottom