silencers, subframes and crashing

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, my new bike is pretty well broke in—or broken, depending on how you look at things. I raced a hare scramble last Sunday and I did not do well. I crashed, and crashed, and crashed some more and finally called it a day. I was so angry—I have never quit a race before. But this one is very, very technical and tough.

I did gain a new appreciation for what the bike can do. It is the perfect bike for me. I do not regret my decision to buy it at all, just my decision to race.

My question is related to subframes and silencers. I bent my subframe pretty bad—it looks awful. Kinda embarrassing to ride. A friend was looking at it and we both think that I bent it by landing on the right side, and that enormous, huge silencer that stock EXCs come with was what forced the subframe out of whack. I had planned on replacing the silencer eventually anyway, not really to gain more power but to shed some pounds—that thing is huge. I guess I’m curious as to whether the aftermarket silencers are as large, or are they shorter and smaller like Jap bike silencers? If aftermarket silencers are equally big, then do any of the Honda / Yamaha / Suzuki / Kawasaki silencers come close in pipe diameter and bend? Because I can have new mounting brackets made (know people who work with aluminum) to make a shorter one fit.

Or maybe, I’m completely off base with these thoughts and should just concentrate on not crashing as often!

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
They are not all that big. If you are going to replace it, get an Acerbis SA/muffler (E35). The Acerbis unit is smaller, quiet (~94 dba), and has no loss in power.

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
I hear ya about the silencer. The stock S/A silencer on my 380 mxc is massive. I looped out badly at an MX track a couple of months ago and tore the back fender off. I was thinking how lucky it was that I had my FMF power core silencer on otherwise the long stock pipe would have ripped the whole subframe off with it!
To answer your question: The FMF non S/A Power Core 2 silencer I bought for the mxc is just as short as any of the Jap bikes. It barely pokes out from the end of the side plate. It does not have the bend. Picture your stock unit cut off at the bend joint. It has to be less than 1/4 the weight, really quite amazing. It definitely gives the bike more throttle response / 'hit'. I use it whenever I'm at a track / harescramble that doesn't require a S/A

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The FMF Turbine Core spark arresters are SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than the stock EXC/MXC setup plus you get to keep the spark arrester feature which might be required at some riding places.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
OOOPPS

Firecracker, as one of my friends three year old daughter says, "dats what happens when you cwash on your motocycle". (notice spelling)

I and most of my KTM riding buddies have purchased the FMF Turbine Core II silence/arrestor. You NEED an arrestor. The TCII shaves a lot of weight, is not really any louder than stock, and tucks in nicely behind the side panel.

FYI, a buddy of mine looped his 380 while wheelying and did the same thing!

Good LucK!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thanks all

I'll look into the FMF Turbine Core. I would like to keep my spark arrestor and don't care how loud it is--the quieter, the better. Even rapped out, I'm still much quieter than all those darn thumpers . . . ;) And I'm more worried about weight reduction and loss of that huge tree / rock / ground target than I am power gain. THe bike already has way more power than I can use.

Kali, that's why I waited!

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I don't know how the turbine-core will affect a 200, but my 360 gained bottom and mid-range. (In all fairness, I changed the pipe also-Fatty). I believe more bottom makes the bike much easier to ride, and the T/C is very quiet.:)

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
The TCII is a good choice, I have been running one on my 200 for a while and even have crash tested it a couple of times with no major problems. I do however run the 250 TCII instead of the 200 TCII. I didn't really pay attention but a friend gave me one that was cracked from his 250 and I welded it up and put it on the 200, it went right on so I just figured that the 250 / 200 used the same part # but there is a difference. After riding mine and riding other peoples I believe that the 250 TCII is the way to go, feels like it revs out better and has more top end. Many people have rode mine and think the same way. I have the stock pipe and have leaned out the jetting so maybe the jetting is the cure.

Top Bottom