allthingsdirt

Jun 6, 2007
I was planning on taking a trip here this upcoming summer with my '01 CR250 when I found this on a website

"The DNR information points out vehicles manufactured for "closed track" use or motorcycles and ATVs with aftermarket exhaust systems will likely not meet the standards. Vehicles failing the standards will not be allowed to enter the dunes."

My question is - how accurate is this? I was planning on getting a FMF Q for the trip, but will that be enough?

This is approximately a 6 - 7 hour drive for me so I'd hate to drive all the way there just to be denied access.

Thanks in advance.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
with the Q exhaust on your CR250 (is it?) - I think you should be fine. although I never worked at Silver Lake - I have worked for the USFS and done maybe a thousand sound checks (not all for USFS as I also did sound checks at enduros too) -
bottom line: a properly packed Q should pass the sound check.
if you said a CR500 - well that might be a different story - they were tough to pass.

TJC510

Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 22, 2006
my cr500 at silver lake never got a second look, and thats with a PC spark arrestor, louder than the fmf Q. you'll be fine with almost anything. they mainly just check for a spark arrestor, unless its super loud, then they test it. i have never been sound tested up there with my truck or my bike.

freerida123

Jan 13, 2008
I live about a 1/2 hour away from silver and have been there probably 100 times and have never been checked or even seen anyone being checked for sound. There are some really loud 4 strokes runnin around the dunes when I am there too. The only thing you should have to worry about is that they will for sure check for a spark arrestor every time you enter. You will be good to go.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
take it in in the back of your truck, you will not have to even start it up. they will look at your sparky though

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Never ridden the dunes so can't help there. Previous posts have some good info.. Interesting that sound enforcement does not seem to be an issue, in barren dunes that sound would seem to travel forever. Big concern with spark arrestors. Didn't think sand would burn, am I missing something?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
you're missing the thousands of trucks with no restrictions, PS the heat shield on my trucks cat. converter fell off so i guess while im at the dunes i shouldnt park in any of the tall fields of wheat??? they have?

Top Bottom