Gomes-nz

~SPONSOR~
Apr 4, 2002
I have read the many posts on skid plates.

Who knows of a site selling a skid plate for the KDX200E3 that will protect the water pump, ie more than just the bottom of the engine.

Also is it necessary to protect the rear of the engine. I want to ride enduro's out here on the east coast.

tks Darrin

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
I did a lot of research on skid plates and wound up buying from Utah Sport Cycle online. Because of the frame guards on each side, I couldn't find anyone who made a plate that wrapped upward to protect the pump (something I was also looking for because of where I ride - lots of gravel washes and rocky roads). Their plate goes back to the rear cross member of the frame and does a good job, but doesn't protect the pump.

Hope this helps....

NJ-DirtRdr

May 2, 2001
I had the same concerns as you as far as the waterpump issue (I have punched a hole in a waterpump before...not a KDX, but still a $120 fix) I also had complaints about getting whacked in the toes and sticks in my break lever/gear shifter. I tried the cable method for the pedals, but didn't like it very much.

I decided to make my own skid plate. Now, you have to understand that I am a very cheap individual to appreciate my solution. I decided I would use a stop sign as my ultimate fix for it's lightness, maleability, and ease of cutting.

First of all, I took a manilla folder and made a template. I went all the way up, to where it just went under the pipe. Then I went all the way back to the suspension linkage--leaving 1/2 overhang over the bottom frame member (this required making a U shaped cutout for the linkage to operate). On the sides, I left approximatelly 4 inches of overhang on the sides just in front of the shifter/brake pedal. These overhangs were triangular in shape.

So if you think about it, putting the octagonal stop sign directly underneath the bike with a flat edge forward, all I did was first cut it to look like an arrow facing forward, then hacked off approximately 3-7 inches in the rear, and made a U shaped cutout in the rear. To mount it, I used heavy duty 1" flat stock steel (Home depot, approx 1/8 thick) and made two lengths about an inch longer than the width of the frame cradle near A) The footpegs, and B)The forward part of the frame near the pipe. I drilled two holes in each of these flat steel pieces and matched two holes in the stop sign for each mounting point. Use four 1.5" bolts with plastic insert nuts (to keep from vibrating off). The hardest part of the whole project is to get those damn nuts on there under the case.

After you have it hard mounted, just bend to the desired protection level. I ended up using a curve that protects everything. My side bends angle inward towards the front of the bike, deflecting anything coming my way, almost completely cover the water pump in height, and extend to within 1/2" the width of the toe of my boot. It is basically bulletproof. No foot/pedal/engine case casualties after 2 years.

To spruce it up, you can take a wire wheel and strip the "STOP" off the stop sign, and use a 1.5" hole saw for drain plug access. Also, the bottom 3-7" you hacked off (with either a Saw-Zall or sheet metal sheers) makes excellent pipe armor if you're interested.

Last edited:

Gomes-nz

~SPONSOR~
Apr 4, 2002
Thanks everyone. I didn't have a stop sign or the time to make one. It sounds like a good alternative and a good price. I brought a skid plate from UTahsports, will have to wait and see how it fits and looks.

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Devol has a big fat skid plate that they offer for the KDX, and it comes with a seperate pump guard. Good stuff.

Darryl K

Oct 10, 2001
NJ-DirtRDR.......<<"I decided I would use a stop sign">>

Well that explains the repeated auto accidents at the intersection down the block doesn't it!! Just kidding. I have been looking for some used traffic signs to use for skid plate and radiator shroud stock myself.

Darryl

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom