Skid Plate/Radiaotor Guard Suggestions

tbs3389

Aug 2, 2003
I need a skidplate and radiator guards for my 2003 kdx200. Right now im looking at the Utah Sport Cycle skidplate because of the wrap arounds to protect the water pump. Is this a good skid plate and are there any others you would recomend? Also, Ive heard not to get the radiator guards and to only get the braces but would the Devol "extreme" radiator guards work because they also kind of act as brace because it gos around the side and mounts to the frame to protect it from side impact. Thanks for the help.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I have the Utah skid and realy like it. It offers alot better protection than the others I have seen which are more or less glide plates.

I have the works connection rad braces and they add alot of strength. I have dumped mine numerous times on the guards with nothing to speak of. Very goo products as well.

Mike McGlade

Jan 13, 2000
Skid plate

I have had the Devol skid (not glide) plate on my 220 for about a year and a half now and it has proven itself many times. I ride in very rocky terrain (about 50 percent of the trails are nothing but rock) and our rides are generally about 30 miles or so. I hear and feel rocks deflecting off the plate but I don't give it a second thought now that I have become confident in its abilities to protect my cases. The mounting system is unique and easier than a typical skid plate installation and another reason for me to recommend the Devol model.

tbs3389

Aug 2, 2003
Thanks for the advice. I was looking at the Devol skidplate but I reconsidered when i saw the list price was $80+ compared to the $55 Utah Sports Cycle one. Is it really worth the extra 30 dollars? Thaks again.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
The Utah Sports Cycle is a great skid plate at a great price. Moose, and I belive MSR, market the same skid plate under their brand name.

As far as rad guards, although I've never used them, Flatland Racing always gets rave reviews.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I have Devol rad guards and a Devol skid plate and wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. I like the Devol Skid plate because it’s not as heavy as some of the others. Then again it isn't as strong either but if you aren't navigating through rock fields it shouldn't be an issue. I use it to protect the water pump and help with log crossings.

The Devol rad guards are an excellent choice and work very well.

David

fivefour

Jan 31, 2003
The Utah Sport Cycle plate does not cover the waterpump like the picture shows. It is a flat plate almost like a mx plate. I got it from Rocky Mountain MC.
I have the Works Connection radiator braces very nice product.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
I just crushed my left WC radiator brace with a little assistance from a friendly tree. :moon:

I'm looking for braces that offer a little more coverage. You mentioned Flatland Racing and Devol, but I haven't seen anybody that sells them. Where can I get them?

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
I really like the Devol radiator guards - I dumped my bike on the side hard enough to bend the acerbis rally guard but it did not affect my Devol protected radiator. I have also had a 2" diameter stick hit squarely into the guard and it kept it out of the radiator fins. money well spent...

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
I have the devol guards and the have saved my rads from being impaled many times. They also serve as a sturdy brace. I ride mostly tight single track in the mountains and have not had any overheating problems.

I fabbed my own skid plate out of aluminum. I welded 2 small tabs on below the pegs and two inside the ears on the frame behind the pipe. After bending the plate to match the frame it bolted up to the welded tabs with carriage bolts and nylocs.
Cheap, effective and easy to remove for service. Works for me!! :clue:

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
For impact bracing, I don't think you are going to do better than the WC braces. Can you run the Devol guards (or Flatland) with the WC braces?

Top Bottom