Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Well I finally got some street tires (21/19 inch Harrley tires) and and gave Supermoto a go.

I was going to go with a friend or mine to the track, but work preventing him from going, do I snach'ed up a non-riding friend of mine and we head off. I've never done motard, and have never seen the track, so I didn't really know what to expect.

after some time on the highway, and some time on the dirtroads I come to the track, and it has about 5 mini bikes taring it up. I pull in and pay me fees and get the rules explained to me.

each class gets 20 mins on the track, and the basic stuff. When I got there I saw that there was a fully motard'ed out KTM 65. that little thing was sweet, and after getting passed by the kid on it more then a few times over the corse of the day, I was feeling a touch slow :laugh:

The weather was perficet. just warm enough to stay warm, but not hot. The slight breeze didn't hurt either

A little bit before I took to the track another Motard rider named Dallas pulls in and gives me a few pointers. once on the track I realize this a totaly different form of riding. Coming into the second turn I almost high-sideds the bike due to cold tires, and a total lack of knowing what was going on. as I'm getting the feel of what's going on I stay out of the way of Dallas, and a younger kid named "CD" after out track time was over for the time being we're all taking and Dallas and I are talking about riding, and he say's not to let me pass if I can help it. it would be better him to pratice passing and me to keep working my lines.

Dalais was surprized that this was my first time trying Super Motard, and was impressed with what he was seeing. The three of us hit the tracks again, and I work on not eating it. I had a few squrelly moments, but that was it for the day. I started to feel better on the bike, and started trying new lines, and found the end of my tires abilities on some parts of the track. the other riders helped me with some things to keep in mind (not so much rear brake) and we started keeping lap times; CD's fastest was 1m, 03sec, Dallas's was 1m 06 sec. mine was 1m 10sec. I was stoked! :) I figure for being the one not on a fully decked out bike that I was doing far better then I expected. :yeehaw: we got one more session on the track and I was giving it all I had. I still couldn't quite hang with the other two, but so what? we were all having a blast and that's what counts.

Honestly that was the most fun I have ever had on a bike!

I'll be out there next weekend for sure!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Awesome Kav!!!! Good report, thanks. Just don't lose your dirt roots bro! :p

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
don't worry I still have my knobbies...

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
That sounds fun!! Never really thought about trying it on a 250, way cool!!

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
Cool man, did you just throw those harley tires on your stock rims or what? There is a supermoto/shifter kart track over by my house and i would definetly like to try it out first without spending money one the rim and hub setups.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Kav - I've been to Grange to check it out (not ride, because it was too hot at the time), and it looked like a fun track.

I entered a Supermoto race without ever having been to one or seen one before. On the starting line before our heat (our's was the first race), we were lined up in rows, so I asked the guy next to me, "Do we all start at once or do we leave one row at a time?". I could tell by the look in his eyes that thought I was a man without a clue. :laugh:

Supermoto uses far less physical energy than offroad racing does, but mental fatigue is just as bad, if not worse. In a sport where every nano-second counts, brain fade can send you to the back of the pack real quick.

I used knobbies in my first race, although Grange doesn't allow it (at least for practice).
What tires did you use for your stock rims?

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
smahala1286; I used my stock rims and brakes. I got the cheapest tires I could find. they are made by "DURO" and were about $80 total for the frount and rear tire. Both of the tires I used were made to be run on a frount rim, but they seem to work just as well on the rear. the hard part was finding a 21 inch touring tire. Also you will want to run about 21-22psi in both your tires. I had 25 in the frount and 35 in the rear and the bike handled *much* better after I let some air out of them.

I'd give it shot on knobbies if the track lets you. and most tracks require a catch can for the carb vent hoses.

What track are you looking at going to? I'm planing on seeing my parents (they live in Aurora) and would love to get some saddle time in if I can.

Holeshot. you're right about it the every nano-second counting. I need to work on my cornering. but the only way to do that is to go do it again.

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
Kav said:
smahala1286; I used my stock rims and brakes. I got the cheapest tires I could find. they are made by "DURO" and were about $80 total for the frount and rear tire. Both of the tires I used were made to be run on a frount rim, but they seem to work just as well on the rear. the hard part was finding a 21 inch touring tire. Also you will want to run about 21-22psi in both your tires. I had 25 in the frount and 35 in the rear and the bike handled *much* better after I let some air out of them.

I'd give it shot on knobbies if the track lets you. and most tracks require a catch can for the carb vent hoses.

What track are you looking at going to? I'm planing on seeing my parents (they live in Aurora) and would love to get some saddle time in if I can.

Holeshot. you're right about it the every nano-second counting. I need to work on my cornering. but the only way to do that is to go do it again.

cool man thanks, the erie mx park has a supermoto/ shifter track there they also have frestyle ramps and a flattrack along with a couple mx tracks. It is southeast of Aurora and should be about a 45 min drive to get there. The track phone # is 303-286-1676. Hope that helps, oh and did you get your tires online if so what site. thanks

Last edited:

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Thanks for the info.

As for the tires, I got them at my local dealer. they are in the parts unlimited catalog

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Very cool Kav! I did the same thing with my 426. what a blast!

Just for future reference, Avon makes very "sticky" tires that fit stock dirtbike rims. They are meant for vintage "race" bikes. I got mine through Tucker Rocky. They're hard to find in the catalog, but well worth the effort. Ask your local TR Rep for help if the $6/hr kid behind the counter can't help. Or let me know and I'll go down and see what page they are on in the new catalog.

YZ165

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Thanks for the Info YZ165. I just whent with the cheapest tires I could find at the time in case I didn't like it. But now I'm looking to race the sportsman class this winter, so those will be good to have.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Hell yea Kav! Sportsman is a great class, keeps the rich guy's from buying all the trophies. I got my tires, the good ones, for a little over $160 plus tax. They last two track days, or quite a few races. Good fun and well worth the money. Just keep your azz on the seat and your feet on the pegs, or those street squids will never let you hear the end of it. I learned the hard way! LOL!

YZ165

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
YZ165: do you remeber what the tires were named?

Top Bottom