Small Cracked PV Bearing Housing Fixable?

Gazza2005au

Mar 27, 2005
i had my bike pulled apart a week ago to replace the water pump seal while i was doing this i seen a very small hair crack in the power valve bearing housing in the bottom end of my motor i was unsure how long it has been there since i only bought the motor bike a few weeks ago my question is
1# will JB weld stop the crack from getting bigger
2# should i get it TIG welded i have been quoted AUD$50-$100 (USD$40-$80)
the bike is a 1995 husky WR250 over here in australia the cases cost alot i have been qoted AUD$800 thats about (USD$700?)
if the JB weld will hold i will go with this option as i only want the bike for another few months than i will sell it and buy another bike
what would you guys do? here is a picture (ignore the grey arrow)
huskymotor101.jpg

EDIT: i forgot to add the crack is no longer than 2mm

Last edited:

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Are you sure it is a crack? Or could it be casting flash, or just an imperfection in the case? If it is a crack, it should be TIG welded to ensure the crack doesn't migrate further. JB weld will probably work for the short term, though.

Gazza2005au

Mar 27, 2005
yep it looked like a crack i JB welded it last week when i had the motor apart the prevous owner had the crank shoot through the cylinder wall and was replaced this caused two slight holes on either side of the PV bearing housing they were both welded by a bike shop, from what i could see and tell from what is there it seems like one of the gears smashed and stripped getting crushed in the PV gearing and the drive from the crank causing the PV bearing housing to take the blow causing the crack? i know it sounds far fetched but i found two small spots of crushed metal stuck to the crank case so im thinking a tooth might have been stuck between the two sprockets the pressure had to go somewhere im guessing?
thanks for your replay mate much appreciated :)

Top Bottom