jesus17

May 6, 2008
Hey i have some land in the little forrest near me and i would like to build something so i can train for real enduro situations. Unfortunately I don't have any uphills so i will put some logs, rocks, some sudden turns and little jumps. All that will be low speed stuff and just for technical and condition training.

What do you think what should i put there? Is there any video or pictures of something like that?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
If you cut a trail by hand, when you go to ride it, it will be three times as tight as you thought. I have cut trails by hand by cutting off limbs and taking out trees. When walking through it felt like the trails were wide enough with decent straight stretches between turns. When I got on a bike, the trails seemed much narrower and the distance between turns much shorter.

Logs and rocks are good, but there is no substituate for real hills.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
High Lord Gomer said:
If you cut a trail by hand, when you go to ride it, it will be three times as tight as you thought. I have cut trails by hand by cutting off limbs and taking out trees. When walking through it felt like the trails were wide enough with decent straight stretches between turns. When I got on a bike, the trails seemed much narrower and the distance between turns much shorter.

I agree 500%. It ALWAYS usually happens to me. I have had only one trail that is suitable to ride in :(

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Don't let Gomer fool ya...he's afraid of the woods unless it's like a track ;)

Do you have access to some clean fill? If you can get some fill from your local town or a local construction site you can make your own hills. Granted they won't be that big but you can practice short runs and turns on the "hills".

jesus17

May 6, 2008
Well i'm planing to dig a hole and make a hill from that soil. And i will fill the hole with water and rocks :)

I found an old car wreckage in my woods so i'll try to transform it into managable obstacle.
I would really like to have some long hill climb to practice or some good jump or wall climb. But not far away from me there is an old clay pit with huuuge and imposible wall climbs and jumps! There is also a good woods there so i'll train there too.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I find it best to ride the trail as you cut it in. I usually just barge through the woods on the bike and walk back to the chainsaw and tools. Gives a better feel for how long the trail is. If you come to an impassable object, jump off and clear it away. Doing it this way also helps alot with bike control, as just blazing your own trail usaully means lots of smaller obstacles. And as others have said, width is important if you care to go fast. We never considered the fact that half the time coming into a corner the bike is sliding out and leaning. That makes it significantly wider.

jesus17

May 6, 2008
Today i started and i just made some paths between woods, some corners, some logs, and stuff like that. It is fun to ride because it is pretty tight but you can go fast so needs alot of shifting, braking, turning and so. I'm planing to dig some ruts because they are my weak spot in woods. Almost broke my ankle on uphill rut when my bike started to go backwards and my foot in rut behind the foot peg, it was really painfull but i managed to pull the bike away from me.

Well my YZ 125 loves open type trails but it is hard to ride it slowly in sudden uphill when you don't know terain and obstacles. You must keep it on pipe to go somewhere but then you are going fast and occasionaly finish at half of uphill in tree... if just 4 stroke would be so light and flickable like 2 strokes are... maybe i should try a 250 2t :D

jesus17

May 6, 2008
Today was a unhappy day for me and bike...

I was training and making obstacles and just when i went home on the way out of forrest i hit big rock in grass with my right leg fingers. Fortunately i had boots but even with boots my big finger is all blue. Also i broke a right foot peg because of hit.

When i got home i found out that one of the screws holding a rear sprocket was totaly loosen and if i would ride for 2 more meters it would propably fall out and hit axle, chain and chain guide... i must weld that peg tomorow and repair the sprocket.

Omg, i can't wait to buy a new bike, propably next week when i return from school trip. It will be YZ 125 2001' with many racing parts :D

jesus17

May 6, 2008
I don't know i propably made a mistake because i'm not from english speaking country...

Well YZ has racing parts but this YZ has a even more racing parts :D :laugh: . YRRD exhaust, BUD cylinder head, Renthal handlebars, cylinder from newer model and so on... but i found out for a CR 250 2004' for 400$ more so i also think to get it but i will see.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I was just bustin em for ya. :nener: I figured it was a language difference, but it sure sounded funny. :)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:

HA! :rotfl: What do you know about real hills? :nener:

I have to agree with the others here that say to use your bike to cut your trails. Then go back over the trail to clean it up by hand. Following an animal trail is a good way to cut a trail also. You might be surprised where a rabbit can go.

When riding in tall grass keep up on the balls of your feet. Don't let your 'toes', (leg fingers) hang over the front of the pegs. This will keep you from getting your toes in between the pegs and rocks or tree roots. I learned that the hard way. Hit a rock with my foot in between the peg and the rock. It completely stopped the bike, flipped me over the bars and it turned a few of my toes around backwards in my boot. :yikes: Lots of fun getting your boot off when that happens. :ohmy:

Don't worry about your English. You speak better English than many people that grow up in this country.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
...about as much as you know about growing up! :nener:

:ohmy: I'll never grow up. :yikes: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! :fft:

Top Bottom