Sean NZ

Apr 23, 2001
Has anyone out there fitted accessory REEDs or a Boyesen RAD valve or similar to their 2-stroke KTM ?

I have a 2000 model KTM200EXC that I want to fit a Boyesen RAD valve to and would appreciate any feedback.

(It made a lot of difference to my KDX200 last year - kinda broadened each gear and had more hook-up.)
Thanks

Sean Reid
2000 KTM200EXC

Sean NZ

Apr 23, 2001
Thanks for the tip Mike-200,
I see you have a '98 model - does a Powercore2 do the same for a 2000 model ? Do you need to match it to a new pipe ?

I jetted the bike as well as I could for a strong mid-range but also wanted to boost the pulling power through the midrange by as much as possible.
(When I added a RAD valve to my 99 KDX200 it let my bike run with 4-stroke 400's in a straight line.)

I ride in the vets class and there is no capacity limit - most guys have 250 MXers or 400\426\520 4-strokes. I have no trouble keeping up in the tight stuff, or in the more open bush trails coz the 200 really takes off, but if it's really muddy or sandy I can't make a single mistake or else everyone's gone ! (Those guys do fade away during longer races - 3 or 4 hour H\Scrambles - but it's hard to compete in MX, 2 hour races or Enduros.) I don't really want a 250 or 300 as they feel heavier and are nowhere near as nimble - harder to stop on steep downhills too (plenty of those in New Zealand).I'm bit of a clutch-jockey so bottom end isn't too much of a concern ! :p

Thanks
Sean Reid

2000 KTM200EXC

MotoEnduro

~SPONSOR~
Mar 11, 2001
Sean, FWIW Mike Lafferty uses the RAD valve on his 250 EXC. As you have seen with your KDX, it does boost performance. The RAD valve increases the velocity and reduces turbulence of the incoming mixture and will give you quicker, crisper throttle response as well. I plan to install one on my new bike soon too. An FMF Fatty pipe would also be a good additon to boost midrange. good luck.

robj

Oct 31, 2000
Hi Motoduro - would a rad valve have a similar effect on a 125 seeing as it has less bottom end as a starting point?

MotoEnduro

~SPONSOR~
Mar 11, 2001
robj, I don't know if the RAD valve would give you more bottom end, it would definitely improve throttle response. Check out Boyesind's web page for more info. If you are looking for more bottom end, a different pipe could also help, such as a FMF Gnarly.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
The Delta II reed assembly can be adjusted for low, mid or top end results. The one I have in my 300 is great. Smoother = power valve adjustment, and getting the jetting dialed. I think the stock pipe on KTMs are great. I have and FMF gnarly on mine, primarily for the strength of the pipe. I also have a TCII on my bike, because of weight savings and appearance. I did not notice much improvement in performance by adding the new pipe or arrestor.

Mike-200

Aug 22, 2000
The Pro cirtcuit is supposed to shift the power more towars the midrange and up, while not hurting the stock bottom end. If only they made it in a ticker guage like the burly/gnarly, then it would be a really sweet pipe.

Sean NZ

Apr 23, 2001
Thanks for all the help folks.
I've been advised to drop my main from a 180 to as low as 160 or even 155 by someone who fitted a RAD to their 2000 KTM200EXC. Can anyone else back this up ?

Strick,
How much are Delta II valves and where can I get one from ? Haven't seen or heard of these in New Zealand. Did you fit and assess performance of the valve before you fitted the Gnarly pipe ?

Thanks
Sean

Sean Reid
2000 KTM200EXC

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Sean: I installed it after the Gnarly and TCII. I have had the Delta on for only about 2 months. I have have the pipe and arrestor on for over a year.

The long name is Moto-Tasinarri (sp?) Delta II V-Force reed assembly.

MXS (MX South) one of the sponsors here on DRN can set you up. I bought mine locally for $125 (u.s.).

Sean NZ

Apr 23, 2001
Thanks Strick,
I might try out the RAD valve for now as I think the lead time for a Delta II will be about two weeks ! I can have the RAD valve in 60 mins ! I'm sure it'll improve what is already a great engine to ride'n'race with.
Thanks for your help - I'll post my impressions as soon as I get it fitted and jetted properly.

Sean

GaryKTM200

Dec 5, 2000
Sean I have a 2000 200 mx/c. I put a RAD valve on it and I love it. I left the jetting stock and everything seems just fine. Very good throttle response and smooth broad power. I hope this helps.

Gary

Top Bottom