old-rocker

Mar 12, 2004
Hi, sorry to sound really dumb, but biking is totally new to me. I have a kdx 125 and would really like to get the best out of it. I have read some articles on this site, which is brilliant, about removing the snorkel and airbox to get a bit more out of it. Where exactly is the snorkel? I an pressuming it is something to do with the air filter, but not too sure. Can anyone explain to me what to do and how to go about it. Thanks. :thumb:

barrie36

Mar 8, 2004
If you take off your seat,you will see the top of your airbox,the inlet pipe(opening) is the snorkel(as our friends across the pond call it)remove this and you will let the bike breathe better.I had a kdx 125 last year but i didnt have any mods to the airfilter box ,it did have a DEP front pipe and a KX125(1992) silencer and it went really well.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I don't know that the 125 is configured the same as the kdx's of US citizenship.

Something to consider: Removal of the 'snorkel' will get you a 'HONK' noise every time you yank on the throttle. Some riders actually like the racket...I'm not one of them.

You can get the same effect (more air) by drilling the lid full of holes but LOSE the 'dead-duck-quacking' noise.

To each his own.

old-rocker

Mar 12, 2004
Hi, have tried removing the snorkel, and yeah you are right you do get a right honk, so i put it straight nback on. I will try drilling the box. Do i have to remove the air filter permanently?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
:think:

Huh?

No, you don't remove the air filter permanently. You don't remove it at all.

I'm missing something?

If someone told you to remove the air filter, they are morons to the nth º!

A dozen or so (that would be twelve) 1/2" (that would be 12mm) holes in the rear raised portion of the lid will do fine.

Oh...in a recent thread someone thought it would be neat-o to put holes in the side of the airbox, too. Don't do that. You'll suck water in and ruin stuff.

old-rocker

Mar 12, 2004
Thanks to you all. I really must get a manual and start learning about bikes, as my son now has a kx60, and i cannot afford to pay someone else to maintain both these bikes, so i guess i better get back into learning mode.

peterryan01

May 6, 2003
Here's how I did mine: Just go to the "KDX200 Tech" section of my website. Even though it is for a newer bike, it should give you an idea. With the way I did it, I don't get any "quacking" sounds. I didn't even notice a noise difference, but did notice a good increase in performance (less stalling by far).

http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~gibbonsp/

Peter

old-rocker

Mar 12, 2004
Thanks, i have looked at your pictures, but the airbox is slightly different from my 125. When i remove the lid it takes the snorkel with it as well, exposing the air filter. If i remove the snorkel i will be leaving the air filter without a lid. Is this any good?

peterryan01

May 6, 2003
Some people have said to just remove the lid, but I don't like the idea of totally removing it. If yours is anything like mine was when it was new, the snorkel should be sticking out of the top of the lid (imagine it in the middle of where my cut out hole is). I think it is best to remove only what is necessary from the lid to make the bike breathe better. If you can avoid removing the lid altogether, I would definitely try for it. The more open your airbox, the more stuff that can get in your airbox. There is always the hole drilling idea - a lot of people use that method. Since our bikes are so different, it is difficult for me to say what would be best for you.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I don't think you should need to totaly remove the airbox lid or drill the extra holes for a 125. The U.S. version 200 and 220 engines probably pull in a bit more volume of air than a 125 and the mods would help out there. I would try a couple of test runs without the airbox lid to see if you notice an increase in performance. If you don't, then pop it back on. If you do, then start by drilling 6 holes and again test to see if there is a difference between no lid and one with 6 holes. Soon you will find a point where no more holes make any difference. In the case of U.S. model bikes, that's about a dozen. (12)
Good luck and have fun learning with your son how to maintain and feed a dirtbike. It will be a great experiance for you both if you let it bring you closer together.
Jerry

old-rocker

Mar 12, 2004
skipro3 said:
I don't think you should need to totaly remove the airbox lid or drill the extra holes for a 125. The U.S. version 200 and 220 engines probably pull in a bit more volume of air than a 125 and the mods would help out there. I would try a couple of test runs without the airbox lid to see if you notice an increase in performance. If you don't, then pop it back on. If you do, then start by drilling 6 holes and again test to see if there is a difference between no lid and one with 6 holes. Soon you will find a point where no more holes make any difference. In the case of U.S. model bikes, that's about a dozen. (12)
Good luck and have fun learning with your son how to maintain and feed a dirtbike. It will be a great experiance for you both if you let it bring you closer together.
Jerry
Thanks jerry.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom