Bignig604

Aug 4, 2009
now that the snow season is starting, i am looking at few tips and tricks on snow riding on a two stroke. this is only my second season riding, yet my firts time riding in the snow/ice. i usually ride with quads cause most of my friends are scared of being on two wheels, as the quads go alot faster whille still in control on snow than a dirt bike, are there any riders out there that would be able to give me any hints/tip on riding in the snow? and what type of tire to ride? ps: the snow is ussually also really muddy, with patches of ice occasionally.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
On frozen ground, studded tires are best. They are crazy expensive, about 300 bucks EACH. You can get screws to put in yourself too. We usually don't ride much after the ground freezes so a soft terrain tire works ok in the snow. Once the ground freezes under the snow it's like riding on rough, slick mud. Depending on how deep the snow is and how wet it is turning can be tough. I remember trying to ride through about 8 inches of wet snow with a crusty layer on top with my RM125 in high school, it was really hard to keep any sort of momentum. We would ride the trails and get them pretty churned up, after that you get pretty decent traction. Quads ARE good for 1 thing, packing down snow so you can turn.....

Bignig604

Aug 4, 2009
okayy. i though about running some half inch steel carbide bolts through the old tire i have now, with some screws. but i dont plan on riding just on snow, so i would need a tire that would stil work for dirt/mud in the woods. but i would need it to perform well on rocks and snow in my local mountail trails and hills. im kindof stuck cause i dont usually ride on the same terrain all the time, especially on the mountains, most of it is mud. i ride a rm125 right now, and its hard enough trying to get traction on hard pack, is it even worth the effort to try to make it ready for winter riding??

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I used to ride my RM 250 in the snow up north with just a regualr soft terrain tire... Needless to say i busted my @$$ quite a few times when theres ice under the snow, but a studded tire should work well.

dan_mihm

Dec 7, 2009
best tip i can give: when riding, just stay loose on the bike, don't fight it. i've ridin in snow several times and just with a soft terrain tire, its like riding in mud just less messy.

Bignig604

Aug 4, 2009
okayy. thanks dan. i think the best thing for me to do now, is just get out there a see where the limits of traction are, and sooner or later im bound to get my cornering down pat. the only problem i find, is my seat is really , really slippery when it gets wet, wich causes some problems, but im hopefullly going to pick up some grip stickers this weekend and put them on the sides.

dan_mihm

Dec 7, 2009
most of the time when i rode in the snow i was standing up. do yourself a favor and go play in a wide open field for a bit to get the feel of how your tires and YOU will handle the snow. its not very hard but like i said.....stay loose

Bignig604

Aug 4, 2009
i am going riding next weekend up in the mountains, i will be the only one on a dirt bike. im just little sceptical at trying to keep upwith the quads, because my rm125 is my first 'real' bike, as well as my first time ridin snow, its only the second time riding my rm. should i be looking for a riding partner other than quaders? or will i soon be able to keep up with them on bad terrain? ps; the quads my parters ride, are 500cc and higher.

dan_mihm

Dec 7, 2009
well, im no one to judge, but i'd say your gonna have a hard time keeping up, try to find urself a partner on a bike or maybe sit it out and get decent on 2 wheels in snow. just my opinion, but nuttin wrong with just going for it

rmrider45

Sep 8, 2008
me and my son last year road the trails in the snow and it was snow/mud /leaves. take your time the snow covers the holes in the ground.one good tip dont crack it open or your going for a ride :)dunno about everyone else on here but its more fun to take the trails slow in the snow or when its dry going fast dont seem to be fun.and some of the real tight trails we ride on you couldnt go fast or you wouldnt be eating a tree or end up with a broken body part

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, you'll have a tough time keeping up. You'll get worn out pretty quick, especially this being the second time on the bike. I wouldn't try to go ride 10 miles up the mountain, that's for sure.

As mentioned, the snow can create some deceiving looks on the trail. A 2ft deep mud hole cover with a thin layer of ice and a few inches of snow can leave you really cold, wet and surprised.

Bignig604

Aug 4, 2009
colotowyo499 said:
Keep in mind that clutch and brake levers tend to snap off rather than bend in the cold and snow if you dump it over...
yeah, when bought the bike it had a snaped brake lever ,s o when i got it replaced i got new FLY soft flex bars with acerbis hand guards, i just dont want to crush my hand if they cave in if i hit something.
i also was able to find two riding partners that im more likelly to keep up with, one rides an rm250, the is a begginner quader on a 150

Bignig604

Aug 4, 2009
heres a better description of where iwill be riding, at the base of the mountain there are muddy fireroads, then about 20 or 30 minutes up these roads it turns to alot of large loose and very sharp rocks. 45 minutes past the rocks, is the snow and ice.the snow not ussually very wet, mostly ice on top. i usually stay onthe fireroads, but next weekend we are going to the peak, where there is a small cabin. anyone have any suggestions on how my bikes jetting will handle the altitude change?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It really depends on the elevation change as to how much it affects jetting. It will get richer as you go higher because the air is less dense.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Them studded tires are cheap. If you must, get a few thousand 1/4"x3/8" sheet metal screws. Put a few in each knob. Up to about a foot or so is real fun. Wear latex gloves under your moto gloves. Jet your bike for the weather/altitude. Vintage Bob

Bignig604

Aug 4, 2009
okay, since my bike is still prepped for summer,i am goingto prepare my bike for winter riding this weekend, (jetting, brake pads, oil all my cables, as well as buy new riding jacket and pants) ps, its already -8 degrees celsius here!. after i jet the bike this weekend, i will let you guys know how it went and if i ran into any problems, as this will be my first time jetting a bike.

Dec 13, 2009
or, you can use quarter inch screws. here is how, buy a bunch of roofing screws (with the big heads), and then simply screw them into your knobbies.ps. MAKE SURE THAT YOUR KNOBBIES ARE NEW ENOUGH TO TAKE THE SCREWS, otherwise your tires will be punctured.

Top Bottom