BigBobT

Aug 28, 2002
Well, I finally did it. I gave myself a big orange birthday present and bought a KTM 450EXC on Monday. Mike (Napper, aka Michman)at Lansing Cycle/Enduro Engineering did a wonderful job setting up the suspension and I'm totally thrilled with the bike. Coming off a XR250 it is big change. Between the power, the suspension, estart, yada yada...

Anyways, I'm looking for some new trail suggestions. My son and I have ridden on the Traverse City trails but that has been about it except for the UP and private property. I'd like to find something a little closer to Lansing such as some of the trails around Higgins/Houghton lake area. Do any of these trails have some easier loops? Preferably something not too terribly sandy since I still have a tough time with the real loose stuff.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I'm going to call CCC to join and am wondering if the trail book just has maps or some descriptions on the various trails?

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Try the loops at Leota. Nice and wide, not too sandy (if you ride after a good rain), and pretty scenic too. There is a BIG sand hill though.

White Cloud is nice easy trail as well as the Little O loop north of Baldwin.

Or…………you could try Napper’s favorite trail in Evart. That one’s really easy, just like riding in the school parking lot! LOL! :)

BTW, I am joking about the Evart trail………..it’s a tough one! It is Napper’s favorite, but he’s one of those black diamond type of guys. He effortlessly finesses his 450 through brambles and over hill & dale where mortal men dare not tread! :thumb:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Hey Bob,

(Reminds me... does anyone remember playing the "Hey Bob" drinking game in college? We'd watch Bob Newhart reruns, and anytime someone said "Hey Bob", you'd have to drink. Hey - it was cheap entertainment!).

Anyway... I don't know about the CCC guide book, but the Michigan DNR has a great web site with all the DNR ORV trail systems in Michigan. They're available online in PDF format, or you can order hardcopy maps sent to your house. Check it out at http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/1,1607,7-153-10365_15070_15080-38330--,00.html.

If you know Napper, he can tell you all about the trails around the Moorestown and Lansing Motorcycle Club (LMC) area (just west of Higgins). FatherandSon has been the gracious host for a number of trail rides out of the LMC. There's one coming up the weekend of 10/26.

Hope this helps...

Drew 674

Jul 25, 2002
Bob,
Congrats on the new scooter! The CCC trail book is just maps, no descriptions or write ups (similiar to the DNR maps that smit-dog mentioned) although if you get the trail book, i'm sure if you mention the trail you were thinking about riding and the guys here could tell ya something about it!
if you want to check out the trail book college bike shop has one at their counter for people to see...not sure about the other bike shops.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
the CCC. is the way to go, just like having a seeing eye dog. also F/S trailfest's you don't want to miss them! come ride with use this weekend @ the CCC vintage ride at fredric. they'll sign you up for the ccc right there.

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
Bob, welcome aboard!

I met you in the parking lot at Lansing Cycle on Monday morning.

Check out the thread for Trailfest.

See you on the trail.

Rickshaw

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Hey Bob (take a drink Smit Dog),

Lansing Cycle also has a trail book on the counter. The website is also a good source of information. If you join the CCC, they have a monthly magazine and the March (?) edition does give you an idea of the difficulty of the different trails.
I am glad Napper set you up on the 450 (I am jealous).
Welcome to the Michigan Trail Riders!! Please do join us on a Trailfest. We ride all day and sit around the campfire to eat/tell riding stories in the evening. A lot of FUN!!

Mike

BigBobT

Aug 28, 2002
My boss always does the "Hey Bob" thing too in honor of her college days (or is that spelled daze).

I called CCC this afternoon and joined since I feel it is money well spent regardless of the map book. When I spoke with Bill at CCW, he said they also send out the trail guide that is normally in the March issue with new memberships. Looking forward to receiving it along with the maps.

I've looked at and printed many of the maps on the DNR site again not sure type of terrain and difficult with each of these. Probably will try Leota next since it is not real far to run up to for a day trip.

Love to do the Trailfest but don't think I can head north this weekend with other commitments. Sounds like a good time though. What is the Lansing Motorcycle Club? Anyone have any contact info?

It was good to meet you Rickshaw the other day. Really great looking KTM.

Hope to see you all on the trails soon.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Bob, congratulations on the the new bike! I think you'll really like that 450. You made the right move!

The CCC is a great group, as is the guys that get together on the Trailfest series. I usually ride sweep (not intentially, just slower than the rest of the hot shots!), but maybe you can join me now as you get used to your new bike! ;)

Every year one of the monthly issues of Great Lakes Trailrider has a rating and description of each trail loop.

I hope to be able to meet you on the trail one of these days!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Hi Bob
Our trailfests are just dates that we plan to get together and ride. We plan far enough ahead to get lots of riders at all skill levels. It's always a good time rain or shine. You'll love that Katoom, I know I love mine and Napper is "The Man" for setting up a bike properly. He's my buddy! Our nest "Trailfest" is Oct 26-27 weekend. Come up the the LMC Clubgrounds and join us if you can. Camping is available - the place is huge. fatherandson, fly'nbrian and I are club members.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by BadgerMan

Or…………you could try Napper’s favorite trail in Evart. That one’s really easy, just like riding in the school parking lot! LOL! :)

BTW, I am joking about the Evart trail………..it’s a tough one! It is Napper’s favorite, but he’s one of those black diamond type of guys. He effortlessly finesses his 450 through brambles and over hill & dale where mortal men dare not tread! :thumb: [/B]

Yeah...you should have seen him effortlessly finesse himself out from under a tree Sunday. LOL :)

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Hey Bob (sorry, I won't do it again),

Give me a call (517-655-5505). We are practically neighbors. I actually live in Williamston (on Haslett Road).

Mike

BigBobT

Aug 28, 2002
I'll try to give you shout this evening Mike. I'm right off of Haslett Road in Haslett so pretty darn close.

Thanks Mark for the encouragement on the KTM. So far I'm very pleased with both the bike and Lansing Cycle. They have been wonderful to work with and the bike has really exceed my expections.

I was goofed up about Trailfest thinking it was this weekend. I'll see if I can make it since it sounds like fun but I'm sure I'll be in way over my head with my lack of ability.

Still want to know more about the Lansing Motorcycle Club. Any link or more info?

Thanks all for the info and making me feel welcome here.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Bob, my plans to go the MCCCT ride this weekend are out, but if I can find someone to watch my daughter while my wife is out of town, my son and I are heading to White Cloud. If you want to check it out, let me know. I don't know yet if it'll be Saturday or Sunday. It depends on what I can work out tomorrow night.

michman

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 7, 2000
Mark,
If you go to White Cloud on Sunday Let me know if I can tag along? Looking for some place to ride on Sunday.

michman

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 7, 2000
Yeah...you should have seen him effortlessly finesse himself out from under a tree Sunday. LOL

Yeah I go riding with these guys here I am stuck against a tree with my Moto on top of me and they just keeep on going with no help what so ever. And I call these people my friend HUH.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Napper, you bet. I'll let you know if I can get my daughter at one of her friends, then I'm on. :thumb:

BigBobT

Aug 28, 2002
Mark, thanks for the offer. This weekend is pretty much out for me but hopefully soon.

I went to the DNR site and printed off the various trail maps from the White Cloud area. What are the trails like at White Cloud and are any of them easier for a slow learner, um, I mean less experienced rider?

Drew 674

Jul 25, 2002
mweissen & michman, i'm in let me know... michman i got your back, i'm sure i'll be way back trying to catch ya!

bigbobt, can we twist your arm? after all you got a new bike!

i'm not sure about the "hey bob" thing when i was in college i was doing body shots off msu hotties at the bars.... :yeehaw:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
How's 10am Sunday at the trailhead sound to you guys?

BigBobT, most of White Cloud is pretty easy, but the northern-most end gets the least traffic, and therefore has the least amount of whoops and built-up berms. To get the north end the easiest, take M-37 north past the M-20 west intersection to a paved road going west toward Nichols Lake (a big National Forest sign shows the turn). Go past Nichols Lake about 1/2 mile. On the left side is where the trail hits this road. You can park in off the road and ride south from there.

The regular trailhead is about 4 miles west of the M-20/M-37 intersection, again well marked.

Top Bottom