Some interesting squirrel facts for you know who!!!

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
-Squirrel, along with rabbit, is one of the most popular of small game, but it is much more varied when it comes to edibility. If the squirrels have been eating acorns, which can be judged by the area in which they are taken, they should be soaked in 1 tablespoon vinegar per quart of water overnight before cooking.

-Squirrels have scent glands in the small of the back as well as under all four legs. These, of course, should be removed. Do not remove all of the body fat; some should be left for flavor. A young squirrel's meat is pink to rosy in color while raw; it turns a darker red as the animal ages. If you think you have an old, tough animal, soak it in 3/4 cup salad oil with 1/4 cup lemon juice for 1 hour before cooking. Many people use squirrel to stretch upland game-bird recipes, and squirrel is frequently substituted in chicken recipes.

-Gray squirrels dress out at about 1/2 pound, fox squirrels around 3/4 pound.

-Some people tell the age of a squirrel by checking the underside of the tail in a good light. If there are two or three dark bands running the length of the fur on either side, it's a young one. Older squirrels have only one such band.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Squirrel Soup

Skin the body, cut off the feet and head, clean the inside and wash the body well. Let the body soak overnight in water to cover, to which 1/2 tsp. salt has been added. Boil about 10 minutes, then discard this water. Boil in fresh water about 2 hours or until done, and cool. Bone, and cut up the meat into small pieces, saving the broth. Cut up one small onion and 1 large or 2 small potatoes and add to the broth, Return the meat to the broth also and cook until vegetables are done. Season to taste. This is an old-time recipe. In today's cooking, one may add whatever vegetable you wish to the soup. and Chile-Heads add several hot chile of your choise

----------------------------------------------------------

Creole Squirrel Pie

Boil meat in water to cover, with minced onion, green pepper, and celery, until tender. Remove meat, bone, and chop. Strain broth. Melt butter, stir in flour to make roux, and add chopped onion and parsley. Add Meat and pour in strained broth; cook, stirring, until smooth. Cook over low heat for about 20 minutes. Turn into pastry-lined, deep 6-cup pie pan, top with pastry, and bake until crust is done.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.

--------------------------------------------------------

Crunchy Baked Squirrel

Soak the squirrel in milk for 30 minutes.
Put cornflake crumbs, salt, garlic powder and pepper in a bag. Shake squirrel pieces one at a time to coat, then remove and place in a shallow baking dish. Don't crowd the pieces in the pan.
Sprinkle with paprika and dot with butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until tender.

---------------------------------------------------------

And to get me to eat one of these concotions I think I would need a few...

Pink Squirrel

and some

Rocket J Squirrel Honey Wheat Ale

Oh and here is a whole bunch more Squirrel recipies compliments of google.

:nener: :nener: :nener:

P.S. And as I am sitting here copying and pasting all this dribble my wife is looking over my shoulder and telling me all the ins and outs of how to skin a squirrel.....I have to ask why she knows all this stuff. :coocoo:

camp1.bmp

Godzuki

Sep 22, 2004
i used to catch them with a 12 gauge, it seem to do pretty well, untill i saw slow joe's chip munk hunting strategy, and i think im going to go that way and just burry them alive with the roost from a large bore 4 stoke dirtbike, that seems waaaaaaaaaay more fun to.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Hello Woodsy...Woodsy....

we are waiting for the infamous burnt squirrel recipie..........

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
KTM Mike said:
Hello Woodsy...Woodsy....

we are waiting for the infamous burnt squirrel recipie..........

Sorry Mike but that ol recipe' is now under corporate control. Somewhere deep in the archives of Young Ted's already wayyyyyyyy to deep mind is a signed affidavit that I will no longer publish that recipe for free :fft:
TO obtain a copy you will have to contact the HRS (head rotten sucker) and CEO of Woodsy Inc and PURCHASE said recipe' :nener:
Now, concerning someof the info that Mr. SMart guy YZMAN400 came up with.. I have a few noteworthy comments:
1st and foremost is that he KNOWS that he SHOULD HAVE contacted yours truely concerning the matter of "squirreling for beginners".. It is obvious to me that either the people who operate Google or MR. YZMAN himself are trying to get a bunch of people in a bad way!
Dont believe me?? Read with me again this line: "Squirrels have scent glands in the small of the back as well as under all four legs".
In this section the originator is beginning his deciete and leading the starving dirtrider into a very bad situation by telling him that if you find "glands" on your squirrel its OK..
Now read this line with me: "Some people tell the age of a squirrel by checking the underside of the tail in a good light. If there are two or three dark bands running the length of the fur on either side, it's a young one. Older squirrels have only one such band."
Have any of you readers ever spent a night in the woods alone - hearing funny noises, stuff fluttering around and then try to keep your head about you enough to find a "good light"? To this I say HOGWASH!!! I have ridden with almost all of you and can honestly say that I only know ONE person that probably could/would do so (keep a cool head about him) under these EXTREME circumstancses. I wont mention his name but you KNOW who you are!! MODERN MAN knows nothing of a light good enough (or quick enough) to do what has been suggested!!
Next - What kind of rational person would go running thru the foret lifting up squirrel tails trying to determine their age anyway?? I tell you folks that what this writer (again, it may even be someone that I personally think is a great guy) is doing is setting a trap for someone!!!
Reread that line again: "Some people tell the age of a squirrel by checking the underside of the tail in a good light. If there are two or three dark bands running the length of the fur on either side, it's a young one. Older squirrels have only one such band."
I know of ONE person that did exactly what that line said and he found out in short order that most squirrels dont like to have their tails lifted. He also found out that ALL squirrels that have glands under their legs and two dark bands running down their tails also have a very strange odor to them that once you smell it, you will no longer want anything to do with "young squirrels".. It took me, I mean him, 14 cans of tomatoe juice to get that young squirrel smell off!
I, personally, have come to a point in my life where I can tell where one of these, so called, "young squirrels" have been, after they have used their glands, from a distance of 2 miles and I tend to go the other way!!!!
Sheesh Don, no wonder Jimmy didnt wanna stay for dinner that night up in the ol Boon forest when I told him that Burnt Squirrel was on the menu!! He probably had Googled that info too and thought that I was talking about a young one with stripes and glands :rotfl:
You yahoos REALLY need to be careful what you read and how much of what you read you believe!! And, of course, it goes with saying - NEVER trust a squirrel that wont just tell you his age outright - if he says "look under my tail" - RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 cryin out loud - Goofiest thread I ever did c!
Woodsy :ride:
Hey Ted: what did you think of the plug I put in for the companY? Didnt like it?? Well then, take a look under my tail buddy - see if you can tell how old I am :rotfl:

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
First off - if some did more riding, they wouldn't have the time or energy to spend digging up this kind of 'information'. I always thought that lifting the tail was to determine something other than age. The plug for the company is fine. The need for the recipe has dwindled just as the chickens that haven't dared venture with the On Any Monday Trailriders.
On the personal side of Woodsy's tail. I've seen that from many sides following it over hill and dale. It is a pretty sight to be a part of.

Young Ted

Top Bottom