crazytrails

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 25, 2005
Tedders, im glad you are going... :ride: i said i would never stand you up, so i will see you at horseshoe at 10:30-11. my bike is ready to go as i have been riding already. just one question?, am i still bringin the dogs and buns? because of the temp. im thinking we all could get something to eat locally like timandtoms or something and just gab for a while.. just an idea. :think:

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
crazytrails said:
Tedders, im glad you are going... :ride: i said i would never stand you up, so i will see you at horseshoe at 10:30-11. my bike is ready to go as i have been riding already. just one question?, am i still bringin the dogs and buns? because of the temp. im thinking we all could get something to eat locally like timandtoms or something and just gab for a while.. just an idea. :think:

that sounds good, It's goona be kinda cold hanging out in that parking lot.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
OK - I will be there as well. My kids wont. So... what is the final plan for eats?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
KTM Mike said:
OK - I will be there as well. My kids wont. So... what is the final plan for eats?

Don't worry about the cold, I took Erin out to Gladwin today and I was plenty warm after a while. Sand was soft, not frozen and there was only like an inch of snow at the most in spots. Anyone that don't ride because they think is's cold is a whimp! :nener: My daughter rode her mighty xr 100 and it's supposed to be warmer on saturday. :cool:

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
I take it that the snow we are getting right now isn't reaching that far south? It would be tough going up here this weekend as we have about a foot and a half of fresh white stuff! You guys have fun and be safe!

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
I have come to the conclusion that my southern bred AZZ will freeze off. Sorry Ted, and others, But I about froze just loading my bike, and they are calling for over 20mph winds tomorrow. I'm just not gonna risk the pneumonia. Maybe next time.

have fun and be safe.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Just a fyi there is nothing more than a dusting of snow here in Muskegon. Nothing that would bother a dirtbike.

crazytrails

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 25, 2005
me and a guy i ride with around here are a go, if tedders is on his way. the snow is coming down hard right now and tonight they are calling for 5 or more inchs of that white crap.. the temp is, well to putting it one way, flipping cold. but then again i rode all winter, so im game. the food plan is don't bother bringing anything but somethin to drink and money to eat after the ride at a place we go to.. any other ?'s let me know.

1TRAK

Mar 19, 2005
Bill and I wont be riding tomorrow,snowmobile weather drew the line on that. Helmets off to those riding and good luck! 1TRAK

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I am still in - bike is on the trailer - all I gotta do is clean my goggles. Wolf - give it a shot. I must admit, initially I was not to keen on the idea, until I put it in the perspective of this is a chance for a nice winter ride - suddenly, I was getting enthused with the idea of a ride!

FWIW Fred - I agree with you and Erin...my boys are wimps! Oh well, their loss!

See you all tomorrow AM!

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Digger and I are gonna give it a go also.

I figure that if we can get a 10 yr old kid and a 79 yr old kid out there ridding in the snow.....Then the rest of ya have no reason not to be out there.

See ya's in the am. It was around 10am right?

That trials tire on the back of my X is gonna be REALLY interesting in the snow. But then again I rode Evart with it in the snow so what the heck. Ill give it a go. At least the grounds not frozen this time.

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
Well I'm sitting here, I rejetted the bikes, Got mine and Speed Bumps gear ready, and then remembered he has soccer practice tomorrow.

what to do....

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
well that was fun. As always nice hanging out with you guys. To bad the weather wasnt nicer. Thanx to everyone for their infinate patience with speed Bumps first foray in the snow. And espessially Ted for riding sweep with us all day. Poor little guy slept the whole way to Holland to get his brother and then the trip to GR. He was beat.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Yea that was some fun riding. You non snow ridding slackers missed out on some good riding. Plenty of traction out there regardless of the snow. Heck if I can get around out there with a trials tire anyone can(even managed to throw some dirt on KTMike...heh heh heh)

The boy tried to bonk out on the way home so I gave him a big wet willie...that kept him on his toes till we got home....where I promptly fell asleep in my ez-chair......snzzzzzzzzz........

In attendance were:

YT2
KTMike
Wolfchild and his son Speedbump
Yzman and Digger
Crazytrails and his pop

Good times fellas. Too bad it wasn't a little nicer out there. But overall wayyyy better than sitting around the house coloring easter eggs.

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
Picture010.jpg

crazytrails

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 25, 2005
great ride, had a blast as usuall. both wolfies son and don's kid rode excellent, they did a great job.. and as always it was nice to ride with ya all. see in this summer.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I had a great time! The drive down was at times a bit slow going with some bad roads. It seemed to be a bad sign, when on April 7th, I was towing my bike along, with the truck in 4 wheel drive, dealing with poor visibility due to the HEAVY snow coming down, and having to brake for the snowmobile doing doughnuts in the middle of the road.. come on..i expect that in January, NOT in April! BUT...it was a good sign evidently!

I was quite pleasantly suprised with how (relatively?) good the traction was - not quite like riding on bare ground, but not to bad at all - very rideable even without studs. About the only down side was how much !@#$ roost came off of that stinkin trials tire on YZmans bike! I swear he was doing it deliberately! I would drop back out of the roost...I would no longer see roost...I would get up relatively close - suddenly there was roost!

I was quite impressed with how well Speed Bump and Digger did riding! Not the easiest of conditions, but they both did great.

Ted, myself, Crazy and his dad went out for a bite to eat at one of Holton's finest restaurants - then I headed north around 5:00. Trip home was uneventful - roads were much better. Man my bike and trailer were covered with road slop! All cleaned up now and ready for another ride!

For all you guys that decided the weather was not good enough - boy were you wrong!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Sounds like you bunch of yahoo's had a great time! Way cool considering the weather we have been having. I hit the road at 5:30 am for a business trip down to Indiana..
Conditions were the same all the way down as Mike had for his trip - unreal considering that Spring officially started back on March 19th ;)
At any rate - I was thinking about you brave souls out ripping up the woods while I was workin :ride:
Woodsy

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
A short background to start with. In another thread it is brought out that Mike and I share the same date of birth. That is KTM –bike quits with ice in petcock-Mike. Last year we started planning a birthday ride to be far enough south out of the snow. During the winter we added riding our Pentons. Things don’t always pan out exactly as thought but we did manage to get the ride in. That it was combined with the SOW ride just happened to fit Mike’s schedule.
After the problems I had last December, I decided no more riding in over 4 inches of snow. The mention of one inch on the ground and flurries in the forecast was not enough to back me down, which is why I went ahead with going Saturday. The first thing I did on arriving at Horseshoe Lake was to check snow depth. In the open parking lot there was 3 inches and back under the pines, out of the wind, there was 4 inches. The snow was loose and fluffy enough that screws would not be a must. First in behind me was Mike, with a snow covered KTM on the trailer. Even the air filter was snow covered as we later found out. It took a few kicks, temperature in the 20’s, to get started. It wasn’t long before the engine quit and wouldn’t start again. In the process of pulling the tank to change the plug, Mike finds no gas coming out the hose. I mentioned having a propane torch, which wasn’t received well at all. Heater was the corrected name for what was intended. It all worked out OK but Mike had to mention that the last time he was on a snow ride with me, he had starting problems also. When you have the opportunity to dig, do so.
Don had to use that appendage you pump with your leg to get his Honda going. The magic button wasn’t enough to do the job. On the other hand, Larry laid his Honda down to rest a bit before getting it started. On the right first and then on the left. I don’t know about resting in the fetal position or on the back. In due time we had 8 bodies on bikes ready to head out into the wild white yonder.
Since Aaron started this thread, he was designated leader. I told him I would bring up the rear and asked which way he was going. Said he didn’t know, to which I answered, I knew where that was. Being sweep, last, Beattlebaum or ----------------(your choice), is fine with me. The new riding regime for me now is to avoid going down and having to pick up the bike as little as possible. This wouldn’t work right behind a pro class or desert racer rider. What a shovel is for has not been forgotten.
Clockwise on the short southeast loop was the destination. Having at least seven riders breaking trail ahead of me, two others not in our group that had left earlier, gave me a nice dirt path to follow. Actually it was too good when I got back to the split and saw the trail going right. Confusion and wonderment set in and I went to the right until I realized it was wrong, turned around and went the correct way back to the parking lot. The rest were all there and Larry makes a comment about telling Woodsy how I managed to get ‘lost’. He knew I’d gone the wrong way because he doubled back and I wasn’t where I should have been. The GLS was checked and the arrow pointed to Daniels, so I wasn’t really lost at all.
Now the festivities start with Mike heading towards me with the cupcake candle set up in the picture Scott has posted. With help from the wind, it was not hard to blow the candle out. Mike then presented me with an album with pictures and comments from last years Camp Chaos. Memories and a keepsake that cloud the eyes. To be able to spend time with such a group as this is above and beyond. The effort is appreciated and valued.
We head for the southwest loop next and manage to make it around with no problems or difficulties that I know of. What the five up front were doing, they’ll have to relate. Scott’s Speed Bump was doing very well compared to his first loop. Youngsters can learn fast with guidance from a parent. Although he did start to tire some near the end, it wasn’t bad at all. I know this loop a little better, didn’t get way behind, didn’t make a wrong turn and made it back OK, as did everyone else for that matter.
The _ _ _ cake wasn’t brought simply to cut up and enjoy. If you want to believe that Mike and I think somewhat the same, you could be correct. We both have a Penton Sportcycle besides sharing the same DOB. I had also brought along a candle to put on the _ _ _ cake for him to blow out – or attempt. Picture follows.

Young Ted

Attachments

• Short Winded.jpg
    Short Winded.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 169

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
:cool:

Glad you're riding Ted... and haven't forgot how to rib. Sounds like an epic ride, even without big names like WM1 & TS...

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I knew there was something fishy about that candle in Mikes cake when I saw a spark come off it. I figured it either wasn't going to blow out or it was going to blow up....Knowing YT2 I decided it was best to take a step back out of the picture just in case :)

And no I didn't intentinaly throw dirt on ya all day Mike (well maybe once or twice I may have :nener: ). I think that was just the way that tire flings the slop combined with my riding style that causes the goo to fly....That tire should really be interesting out to Drummond this year with all the newbies. I like throwing muck on the newbies.... :laugh:

Oh and Mike...send me the web site for that book you gave Ted. I know I saw it in the book but it left my noggin just as fast as I read it. Getting old sure sucks :nod:

==> Email Addy <==

Last edited:

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
YZMAN400 said:
I knew there was something fishy about that candle in Mikes cake when I saw a spark come off it. I figured it either wasn't going to blow out or it was going to blow up....Knowing YT2 I decided it was best to take a step back out of the picture just in case :)

And no I didn't intentinaly throw dirt on ya all day Mike (well maybe once or twice I may have :nener: ). I think that was just the way that tire flings the slop combined with my riding style that causes the goo to fly....That tire should really be interesting out to Drummond this year with all the newbies. I like throwing muck on the newbies.... :laugh:

Newbies you say? do tell.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom