ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
Ok, so I have my YZ and planning to do some enduros this coming season, but my exhaust isn't spark arrested. I do have a Cobra Sparky add on arrestor, but would I be able to manage to use it on my stock exhaust and would be quiet enough to make the noise limit?? I know nothing about the thing, so sorry if I seem incompetent with my questions.

KXtrailrider

Sep 12, 2004
I used a sparky on my 91 KX for abouy 8 years on the stock muffler. It didn't change the sound much if at all. I got sound tested in Idaho with it once they had a 96db+or-3db meaning 99db mine came through at 98db. So repack your muffler often and with the sparke you have to clean the screen often too, more often than i liked to keep it running good. It worked fine and when the screen was kept clean it caused no problems.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
If you use the Cobra toss the hose clamp crap, drill some holes, and use 3-4 sheet metal screws to attach the thing, with some star-washers. I used to run one on my 94 YZ125, I can't count the number of times I went back on the trail to try and find it.

And as KXtrailrider said, repack your silencer often and you should be alright on sound. And keep the screen clean! My bike ran on the rich side and I had the spark arrestor clog up on me more than once. I usually used a torch to burn all the crap out of the screen. If I knew how to jet back then I probably wouldn't have that problem at all.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
That setup would work okay at best but doesn't like FMF at least still make the turbine core spark arrestor for that bike? At those are designed to cut down on sound it's one whole unit. I thought they stopped making those cobra sparky's cause in the early/mid 90's FMF/PC woke up and finally offered performance spark arrestors and it killed on thier market.

Top Bottom